Thread: At / To

Post Thanks / Like

Default At / To

What do these mean? Thanks.
    1. Do you want to stick it to this picture?
    2. Do you want to stick it at this picutre?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: At / To

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Hmm. I'd use, Do you want to stick it on/to this picture? and Do you want to throw it at this picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Nahualli Guest

What do these mean? Thanks.
    Honestly neither of those sentences mean much. They're both awkward and make rather clumsy use of prepositions. You can say "take this stamp and stick it to the picture" It's still pretty clumsy. I would use "on" and nothing else in this case unless "to" was absolutely needed and I can only think of a handful of things you can stick "to" a picture that you can't stick "on".

as a side note, "to stick it to something" is American slang for "destroying" something, literally, "to stab". "Do you want to stick it to this picture" can also mean "Do you want to tear it apart?"

-Nah-
    Last edited by Nahualli; 07-Dec-2004 at 19:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    I can only think of a handful of things you can stick "to" a picture that you can't stick "on".
    What do these mean?
    1. I can think of a handful of things you can stick "to" a picture that you can't stick "on".
    2. I can only think of a handful of things you can stick "to" a picture that you can't stick "on".

Nahualli Guest

Thanks.
    What do these mean?
    1. I can think of a handful of things you can stick "to" a picture that you can't stick "on".
    2. I can only think of a handful of things you can stick "to" a picture that you can't stick "on".
    Well... "a handful" is an expression meaning "not very many"... using the word "only" in there simply intensifies the expression... I can think of a few things and I can only think of a few things. They mean the same thing, one is just more focused.

-Nah-

Post Thanks / Like

Well... "a handful" is an expression meaning "not very many"... using the word "only" in there simply intensifies the expression... I can think of a few things and I can only think of a few things. They mean the same thing, one is just more focused.
    Thanks. This is very useful.