Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,057
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    1. He speaks not only English, but also French.
    2, He not only speaks English, but also French.

    Are both sentences correct?

    Many thanks.

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Smile Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    1. He speaks not only English, but also French.
    2, He not only speaks English, but also French.

    Are both sentences correct?

    Many thanks.
    Not only does he speak English, but also French.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,057
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Thanks, Engee.

    I believe at least one of the sentences I posted is correct. I would like to hear from other members.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Smile Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Thanks, Engee.

    I believe at least one of the sentences I posted is correct. I would like to hear from other members.
    Well, they're both fine, as it happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    1. He speaks not only English, but also French.
    2, He not only speaks English, but also French.

    Are both sentences correct?

    Many thanks.
    I just wanted to give you an example of stylistic inversion used.


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 527
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Hello,
    Please note I'm not a teacher.

    The sentences differ in focusing point. Usually the adverb “(not) only” is placed in frond of the word it emphasizes.

    He speaks not only English, but also French.
    In this sentence the language is in focus, and I think it's the best way of saying this.

    He not only speaks English, but also French.
    In this sentence I would expect another language skill because the verb “speak” is in
    focus.

    Not only does he speak English, but also French.

    When not only is placed in the front position is usually followed by inversion which often is used to express amazement.

    Cheers.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Thumbs up Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskin View Post
    Hello,
    Please note I'm not a teacher.

    The sentences differ in focusing point. Usually the adverb “(not) only” is placed in frond of the word it emphasizes.

    He speaks not only English, but also French.
    In this sentence the language is in focus, and I think it's the best way of saying this.

    He not only speaks English, but also French.
    In this sentence I would expect another language skill because the verb “speak” is in
    focus.
    That is true indeed.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 172
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Theyre fine.
    down to preference

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 527
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: He speaks not only/He not only speaks

    Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Luizao View Post
    Theyre fine.
    down to preference
    So the question is:
    Which one do the examiners prefer?

    Cheers

Similar Threads

  1. Hi! Moi speaks French...and can't writes in English.
    By hugsandkisses in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2008, 15:10
  2. [ESL Weblog] The physical body speaks language!
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2006, 10:20
  3. Click Here: It's a dictionary that speaks.
    By Casiopea in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2005, 14:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •