Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Hi,

    How do you pronounce the first name "Lawren"? Is it [],

    or [] ?

    I can not find the pronunciation for this name in the dictionary and the Internet. So hope you could have a look for me, thanks in advance!

    (I am learning American English)

  2. #2
    pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi,

    How do you pronounce the first name "Lawren"? Is it [],

    or [] ? I think the pronunciation varies between the two, with [] preferred. Also, I have sometimes heard the first vowel pronounced almost as an 'o' [/əʊ/], but I think your choice of [/ɒ/] is standard.

    I cannot find the pronunciation for this name in the dictionary and the Internet. So hope you could have a look for me, thanks in advance!

    (I am learning American English)
    Dear IMPSX-UE:

    I have seen this name spelled, 'Lauren,' so I hope we are talking about the same name!

    Very best wishes,

    Petra

  3. #3
    Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi,

    How do you pronounce the first name "Lawren"?
    I've never seen Lawren. I have seen Loren (a man's name) and Lauren (a woman's name).

    They're both pronounced LOR-en.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Dear IMPSX-UE:

    I have seen this name spelled, 'Lauren,' so I hope we are talking about the same name!

    Very best wishes,

    Petra
    Hi, pyoung,

    Thanks for looking at my question!

    Well, I am sure it is "Lawren", not "Lauren" or "Loren", and these two names you suggested I can find them in the dictionay, which are both pronounced as /lɒrən/.

    I saw "Lawren" at my TOEFL listening script, the full name is Lawren Harris, who is a Canadian painter.( Lawren Harris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

    But I can not find the pronunciation for this name anywhere. I just heard "Lawren" which is pronounced like /lɒrən/, and also like /lɒren/. I am not sure which one is correct. Okay, I will upload a MP3 file, you can take a "listening".

    I guess I will go for /lɒrən/.


    This is the part of the full script:

    A.Y.Jackson was influential for his ananlysis of light and shadow. Arthur Lismer's work has an intensity all its own - particularly his painting of the "Canadian Jungle," the violently colored forest in the fall. Lawren Harris went further than the rest in simplifying the forms of nature into sculptural shapes, organizing an entire scene into a single, unified image, and eventually into abstraction.
    Last edited by IMPSX-UE; 26-Feb-2009 at 10:36.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    hanky is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi, pyoung,

    Thanks for looking at my question!

    Well, I am sure it is "Lawren", not "Lauren" or "Loren", and these two names you suggested I can find them in the dictionay, which are both pronounced as /lɒrən/.

    I saw "Lawren" at my TOEFL listening script, the full name is Lawren Harris, who is a Canadian painter.( Lawren Harris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

    But I can not find the pronunciation for this name anywhere. I just heard "Lawren" which is pronounced like /lɒrən/, and also like /lɒren/. I am not sure which one is correct. Okay, I will upload a MP3 file, you can take a "listening".

    I guess I will go for /lɒrən/.


    This is the part of the full script:

    A.Y.Jackson was influential for his ananlysis of light and shadow. Arthur Lismer's work has an intensity all its own - particularly his painting of the "Canadian Jungle," the violently colored forest in the fall. Lawren Harris went further than the rest in simplifying the forms of nature into sculptural shapes, organizing an entire scene into a single, unified image, and eventually into abstraction.
    Hi,
    Please note that I am not an English teacher,
    Yes, I have seen this name Lawren before. I think this is a French name.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Hi,
    Please note that I am not an English teacher,
    Yes, I have seen this name Lawren before. I think this is a French name.
    Hi,

    hanky, thanks for your help!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Dear IMPSX-UE:

    I have seen this name spelled, 'Lauren,' so I hope we are talking about the same name!

    Very best wishes,

    Petra
    pyoung, I have tried a lot times, it seems the attactment I uploaded still doesn't work. !!! I can not open it!

    You can give it a try. And if you can not open it either, let me know, I will fix it!


  9. #9
    hanky is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    pyoung, I have tried a lot times, it seems the attactment I uploaded still doesn't work. !!! I can not open it!

    You can give it a try. And if you can not open it either, let me know, I will fix it!

    I guess you have a problem with uploading a file as an attachment. In this case try to upload your media file to a free host like Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire and then put your uploaded link here, very easy.
    H.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How do you pronounce "Lawren"?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    I guess you have a problem with uploading a file as an attachment. In this case try to upload your media file to a free host like Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire and then put your uploaded link here, very easy.
    H.
    hanky, I can not open the link you offered! But I put the file on another website. Here we go!

    Lawren_Harris.mp3 -- FileFactory.com - free file hosting --

    Or this one, http://www.filefactory.com/file/af20441/n/Lawren_Harris_mp3

    Click "Download with FileFactory Basic". If this still still doesn't work, I will try another method! Let me know!
    Last edited by IMPSX-UE; 26-Feb-2009 at 12:51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how do Americans pronounce bottom, gotten, button?
    By arForeigner in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2009, 21:37
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2009, 08:10
  3. how I can pronounce ""
    By MrWho007 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-Dec-2008, 14:15
  4. Countable and Uncountable: Pronounce husband and wife
    By redgiant in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2008, 20:00
  5. how to pronounce dark l?
    By enydia in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2008, 04:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •