• Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thingify

I have come across the following sentence in an Indian newspaper (The Statesman): "The media thingifies people and the thingification of Diana has gone very far indeed ......" What is the meaning of 'thingify' and 'thingification'? I do not find these words in any standard dictionary. Have these words come into common use? How would you categorize them - 'formal', 'informal' or 'colloquial'?

Yours truly
    Samareshwar

bhaisahab is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thingify

Quote Originally Posted by samareshwar View Post
    I have come across the following sentence in an Indian newspaper (The Statesman): "The media thingifies people and the thingification of Diana has gone very far indeed ......" What is the meaning of 'thingify' and 'thingification'? I do not find these words in any standard dictionary. Have these words come into common use? How would you categorize them - 'formal', 'informal' or 'colloquial'?

Yours truly
    Samareshwar
    It seems to mean turning people into objects (things), but I have never come across it, I am glad to say.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

I have met the same concept as "objectify".

Post Thanks / Like

"Thingify" is a more immediately understandable way of saying reify, 'res-' means 'thing', or "objectify" to make as an object and denying a more fuller series of relations forming that 'thing'.

It is used in philosophical or theological literature predominantly. It means that something is being treated as a thing-in-itself and possibly with animate, anthropic characteristics, and or highly separated, made unrelated or non-contingent on its existence in relation to other relations or 'things'. This is also related to 'alienation'.

Thingification is perhaps the greatest most common illusion or delusion, or what Buddhists call "conventional perception". It is a mind bending concept and for that reason not so much in common use, but very powerful as a concept to apply to all manner of events in daily life.