• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to call "bathroom" differently in different English spaking countries?

Hi guys!

Q1> I'd like to know how to call "bathroom" differently in different English spaking countries.

When I was in the U.S. for 1 year, I saw the sign men's" and "ladies' in restuarants and boys and girls in schools. And I noticed that Americans say "bathroom" whereas, Cananadians call it "washroom" rather than "bathroom" when I traveled Vancouver, Canada(Oh, I love it.) I'm not sure about what I know about it. If you help me understand it correctly. as always, I really appreciate it.

Q2> There are a lots of words to mention "bathroom" in English like "restroom" "washroom" "toilet" "men's room". Do they commonly used in real situation? Then which one is more casual in your country in this context? "Where is ________?"

Q3> Is the term "washroom" common only in Canada?

Q4> What about the other countries? In England, do they call "toilet" not
    "bathroom"?

I'm so curious, and if I have a chance to travel English speaking countries, I'd like to use different name for "bathroom" to get involved in their culture more closely. Don't laugh at me, please.. I know this sounds ridiculous

Q4> Could you please tell me how to say in English appropriately for
    the blank?

Me: Ms. Min, Can I go to the bathroom?
    T: How many times I have to tell you to use the bathroom before class?
    Me: ( )

I'd like to say "It's urgent". but I am not sure it's common.
    If it sounds awkward, please let me know how to say in English in this context? I want to know very common expression among teenagers.

Thanks a lot in advance

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to call "bathroom" differently in different English spaking countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    Hi guys!

Q1> I'd like to know how to call "bathroom" differently in different English spaking countries.

When I was in the U.S. for 1 year, I saw the sign men's" and "ladies' in restuarants and boys and girls in schools. And I noticed that Americans say "bathroom" whereas, Cananadians call it "washroom" rather than "bathroom" when I traveled Vancouver, Canada(Oh, I love it.) I'm not sure about what I know about it. If you help me understand it correctly. as always, I really appreciate it.

Q2> There are a lots of words to mention "bathroom" in English like "restroom" "washroom" "toilet" "men's room". Do they commonly used in real situation? Then which one is more casual in your country in this context? "Where is ________?"

Q3> Is the term "washroom" common only in Canada?

Q4> What about the other countries? In England, do they call "toilet" not
    "bathroom"?
    Even though "washroom" is more common in Canada, as is "toilet" in the UK, you'll be understood in the US if you ask for directions to either. However, in the US, "toilet" is considered to be a bit crude and refers strictly to the actual commode. The most common ways to refer to this particular facility in AmE are either the bathroom, the rest room or the mens'/ladies' room.

Q4> Could you please tell me how to say in English appropriately for
    the blank?

Me: Ms. Min, Can I go to the bathroom?
    T: How many times I have to tell you to use the bathroom before class?
    Me: ( )

I'd like to say "It's urgent". but I am not sure it's common.

Thanks a lot in advance
    In AmE, most students would tell the teacher "It's an emergency."