Post Thanks / Like

Default please advise me about this IELTS letter

Topic :A letter about baggage losing in airport

Dear officer,

I write this letter , I must inform you that my baggage after landing is being lost ,here is a summary of all information you need for inquiry .

My name is jack Marshall, during a trip from Paris to Frankfurt flight no. 237 ,Lufthansa airline gave my baggage to the desk including ; a sealed box and a suitcase .The box contains some handcraft for my friends in frankfurt ,and my suitcase , which is a big ,leather,black one ,full of my clothing some of my identification documents , also about 1500$ .all appropriate tags are sticked to my ticket.

However ,I am appealing to to accept this letter as a formal request for an inquiry about responsible in this case ,and pay compensation according international laws.

Please contact me at cellphone ( +44202685732 ).

I am waiting for your kindly answer

yours sincerely,

Jack Marshall

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please advise me about this IELTS letter

Say:
    I need to tell you that my baggage was lost.
    Check for punctuation.

thod00 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sirs,

This letter is a formal complaint and request for action in the matter of my lost luggage.

My name is Jack Marshall. On (date), I boarded Lufthansa flight no:237 from Paris to Frankfurt. I checked in my luggage, a sealed box and a suitcase, at the Lufthansa desk. The box contained handicrafts. The suitcase, large, black and made of leather, contained my clothing, some identification documents and a large quantity of cash. These items of luggage were each correctly and prominently labeled. My luggage was missing when I attempted to recover it at my destination.

It appears that my previous attempts to resolve this matter, by recovery of the lost luggage, have not been successful. I hold yourselves responsible for this loss and must now demand that you pay me compensation. I require that you make good my losses and pay me to the sum of (amount) in resolution.

If you have any questions about this letter please phone me on +44202685732. If you ignore this letter or deny responsibility, I shall escalate the matter for arbitration.

Yours faithfully,

Jack Marshall.

thod00 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Structure:

What this letter is about.

The circumstances, giving all the details they may need.

What I want to happen and offer to negotiate.

What I will do if it doesn't happen.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post

My name is Jack Marshall. On (date), I boarded Lufthansa flight no:237 from Paris to Frankfurt. I checked in my luggage, a sealed box and a suitcase, at the Lufthansa desk. The box contained handicrafts. The suitcase, large, black and made of leather, contained my clothing, some identification documents and a large quantity of cash. These items of luggage were each correctly and prominently labeled. My luggage was missing when I attempted to recover it at my destination.

If you have any questions about this letter please phone me on +44202685732.If you ignore this letter or deny responsibility, I shall escalate the matter for arbitration.

Yours faithfully,

Jack Marshall.
    Hi Thod00,

I have two questions about this letter. Could you please answer them for me?

• I think 'My name is Jack Marshall' is redundant in the body of the letter since the writer did sign his full name at the ending of the letter. What do you think about this?
    • If the thing happens in China, I, as a client for the airline, will not tell the airline what measure I will take if they ignore my complain letter. I assume they might take a tough attitude to such a complaint if the letter sound hostile to them; that is then please go to arbitration. I will only tell them this after I really want to give up the negotiation. Do you think it is really helpful to write it in the first letter in English-speaking countries?
    Many thanks!

thod00 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think 'My name is Jack Marshall' is redundant in the body of the letter since the writer did sign his full name at the ending of the letter. What do you think about this?
    I agree, I was copying his original text.

If the thing happens in China, I, as a client for the airline, will not tell the airline what measure I will take if they ignore my complain letter. I assume they might take a tough attitude to such a complaint if the letter sound hostile to them; that is then please go to arbitration. I will only tell them this after I really want to give up the negotiation. Do you think it is really helpful to write it in the first letter in English-speaking countries?
    Also agree. I assumed this is not the first letter. That the airline cannot find his bags and is now ignoring him, hoping that he will give up and not bother them again. If someone is ignoring you, then you may need to sound threatening in order to make them act. If they believe I will do nothing, then they will do nothing. If they believe I will take them to court, they will try to avoid it.

One should always be polite. One should try to resolve the matter in a friendly way that allows the relationship to continue. However if this doesn't happen you have to decide which is the more important, preserving the relationship or getting your money. Once you have decided you want to be payed, you are opponents. Be polite, but be strong.
    Last edited by thod00; 01-Mar-2009 at 12:44.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Thod00,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I raised the second question because I had thought probably Western airlines would provide better service after hearng from the complaint from their clients.

If China, I probably will give up for the compensation if my luggage is not expensive and if the airline still turns a deaf ear to me after my efforts. It will cost a lot of time and energy and some money to win the case when we go to court.