Thread: Mistakes?

• Post Thanks / Like

Mistakes?

Dear teachers,

Would you help me check if the sentences below have any grammatical mistakes or not?

1. “Daydream about your girl, huh?” he mocked at Lionel first thing in his usually nastiest way.
    2. “Looks like your girl got snatched by someone else,” said Tham from behind. (Is 'snatched' a suitable word?)

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Kenneth

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    Dear teachers,

Would you help me check if the sentences below have any grammatical mistakes or not?

1. “Daydream about your girl, huh?” he mocked at Lionel first thing in his usually nastiest way.
    2. “Looks like your girl got snatched by someone else,” said Tham from behind. (Is 'snatched' a suitable word?)

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Kenneth
    I am not a teacher.

1. Daydreaming about your girl.....he was mocked by..........
    2. Looks like your girl is with someone else.......

1. AintFoolin

snatched is fine

2. Nahualli

Huh? "he mocked at Lionel first thing in his usually nastiest way..."

first thing... what? Where's that superlative coming from? Nastiest? Where are the less-nasty cousins?

-Nah-

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli

first thing... what? Where's that superlative coming from? Nastiest? Where are the less-nasty cousins?

-Nah-
    Sharing information, comparing ideas, suggesting more appropriate ways of expression has to the best of my knowledge been a focus in this forum. This includes considering questions as very serious even those our own level of experience may deem unneccesary. A friend does not use his superiority but shares freely.

Back to the original question - it is easier to make corrections when the context is given. You may want to say - he teased Lionel in his usual nasty way.

3. Nahualli

Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Sharing information, comparing ideas, suggesting more appropriate ways of expression has to the best of my knowledge been a focus in this forum. This includes considering questions as very serious even those our own level of experience may deem unneccesary. A friend does not use his superiority but shares freely.
    If you look at both our replies, they say basically the same thing. You indicated missing context, whereas I demonstrated it.

-Nah-
    Last edited by Casiopea; 10-Dec-2004 at 13:26. Reason: Does not contribute to the original poster's question.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

In my view, the more opinions expressed here the better - even if they don't agree.

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear teachers,

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Kenneth
    In addition, with regards to sentence 1., have you thought about altering the word order?

1. He mocked Lionel, first thing, in his usual nasty way, "Daydream about your girl, huh?"

Either "Daydream" or "Daydreaming", as twostep suggests, works. "Daydream" is short for "You will daydream about your girl, huh?"

As for the phrase 'usually nastiest way', it's rather odd, as Nahualli points out. What about?

his usual nasty way
    his usual nastiest of ways

• Post Thanks / Like

..., suggesting more appropriate ways of expression has to the best of my knowledge been a focus in this forum.
    Agreed, and yet in looking back at the thread, I believe Nahualli has done exactly that. In response to the grammaticallity of sentence 1., both you and Nahualli provided the following responses, respectively:

Twostep: Daydreaming about your girl.....he was mocked by..........
    Nahualli: Where's that superlative coming from? Nastiest? Where are the less-nasty cousins?

From where I stand, I see that Nahualli's response address the superlative "nastiest", which your post does not. So in all fairness, Nahualli has indeed complied with the rules of this forum by "suggesting [a] more appropriate [way] of express[ing] the original poster's sentence 1.

Back to the original question - it is easier to make corrections when the context is given. You may want to say - he teased Lionel in his usual nasty way.
    But ... the context, albeit word-order tangled, was provided. It's just that it happened to be worded in an odd way. That is, one can indeed mock someone in a nasty way or one's usual nasty way, and even in one's usual nastiest of ways, wherein the plural noun 'ways' houses the comparative referent for the superlative.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli

-Nah-
    That's an excellent question, and an explanation would be very helpful.

Please remember that if a poster asks a question, the assumption is that s/he's not just looking for an answer, but that s/he's also looking for an explanation. I understand you are fabulous with explanations, so please, if you will, dazzle us, but keep in mind that not all of us are, sort to speak, "in the know" about why such and such is awkward or unacceptable, so you'll have to explain it to us in a way that everyone can understand.