• Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep smth seecret

Could you help me with this question.
    Example:

The Parties undertake to keep secret the information received from each other or from third parties and related to fulfillment of the Agreement, supplementary agreements concluded in the execution of the same and any other information obtained in connection with the Agreement independent of the means of obtaining such information.

Let's have a look at this pattern in an Oxford dictionary (please, write "keep" here:

http://www.oup.com/oald-bin/web_getald7index1a.pl )

11th meaning is our case.

SECRET
    11 ~ a secret | ~ sth secret (from sb) to know sth and not tell it to anyone: [vn] Can you keep a secret? * [vn-adj] She kept her past secret from us all.

We can see that the pattern must be

[VN-adj] She kept her past secret from us all.

In other words we should place a noun between the verb and the adjective. No other pattern is possible.

But let's have one more look at our initial example. It seems quite Ok because the noun hase a vast attribute. In this case it seems quite logical to place it before the adjective (secret).

But how I can explain it from grammatical point of view, I don't know. It seems to be a violation of the norm. Then it is a stylistic jurisdiction. But on the other hand this sentence doesn't seem to be stylistically marked.

Could you help me examine this question and also hint at where in the Internet I can read something about in.

Michael

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Keep smth seecret

Yes, it sounds awkward. It should read: The parties undertake to keep two kinds of information secret.

But here's why:

The Parties undertake to keep secret the information received from each other or from third parties and related to fulfillment of the Agreement, supplementary agreements concluded in the execution of the same and any other information obtained in connection with the Agreement independent of the means of obtaining such information.

Thiese green colored parts explain what kind of information that must be secret. This adjective clause was placed close to the word information to explain what kind of information. .

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Keep smth seecret

Or
    'The Parties undertake to keep secret:
    • the information received from each other or from third parties and related to fulfillment of the Agreement, supplementary agreements concluded in the execution of the same
    • any other information obtained in connection with the Agreement independent of the means of obtaining such information.'

I'm not sure why you think it 'doesn't seem to be stylistically marked'. It seems to me pretty standard legalese - 'third parties', 'supplementary Agreements' [especially the capital A], 'execution of the same', 'independent of the means of obtaining such information' - how could anyone but a lawyer have written it?

b