Thread: Lisa45

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Lisa45

We have a foreign exchange student living with us this year from China. We found out in December that the main purpose for her coming to the US was to learn English. Her vocabulary has certainly improved, the pronouncing "th" sounds is difficult. Any advise would be appreciated!

She wants to take the Tofel test before she leaves in June, and I worry she will not pass. I am doing all I can, but I am not a teacher. Any other resources would be appreciated. She is so loved by our family and I want to help as much as I can! THANKS!!

Luizao is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lisa45

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa45 View Post
    We have a foreign exchange student living with us this year from China. We found out in December that the main purpose for her coming to the US was to learn English. Her vocabulary has certainly improved, the pronouncing "th" sounds is difficult. Any advise would be appreciated!

She wants to take the Tofel test before she leaves in June, and I worry she will not pass. I am doing all I can, but I am not a teacher. Any other resources would be appreciated. She is so loved by our family and I want to help as much as I can! THANKS!!

Hi Lisa,

She sounds like a lucky girl, and I'm sure that youre doing a better job than you give yourself credit for on the post! ;) Even just with all the speaking practice and personal attention I'm sure she's getting with your lovely family, that she probably wouldn't normally get back home.

I see you've already identified certain problems she has with the language.
    With regards to pronounciation I'm guessing she's probably familiar with the phonetic table and symbols.
    You could try to help her with problem sounds she has and see if you can improve them somewhat.
    Here's the first from a series of clips from Adrian Underhill (it's on youtube) about pronounciation. It may be interesting....
    YouTube - Adrian Underhill on Successful Pronunication 1 (Macmillan)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lisa45

Thanks so much for the positive feedback - I just wish we could have started helping her more aggressively early on. She is a pretty amazing young lady, and a wonderful blessing to our family!