Nahualli Guest

Question Can I test for an ESL teaching cert. but not take the courses?

Is it possible to test for an ESL teaching cert but not take the courses? I'm just curious. I'd like to find out what standardized tests are used and if it's possible to try to study for the test in order to pass.
    -Nah-
    Last edited by Red5; 09-Dec-2004 at 19:41. Reason: Renamed thread title

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I test for an ESL teaching cert. but not take the courses?

Not that I know of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli
    Is it possible to test for an ESL teaching cert but not take the courses? I'm just curious. I'd like to find out what standardized tests are used and if it's possible to try to study for the test in order to pass.
    -Nah-
    For a certificate in TEFL (Teacher of English as a Foreign Language), a basic course on "How to teach English" for people going overseas, sign-up for an intensive four-day course, with a cost averaging around $1,000+. There are no tests; your fee buys you the certificate. Online courses are also available.

For a degree in TESL (Teacher of English as a Second Language), you have to apply to a university or college. Length ranges from 2 years to 4 years.

For certification in TESL, last time I checked, you need a) a university degree in Education, Linguistics or the Humanities, preferably English; b) a minimum of 800 hours of hands-on experience teaching various ESL (not EFL) courses with a reputable school/company for at least 1 year. You do not have to write a test to be certified, but there's a great deal of paperwork. Moreover, certification is based on the State or Province you teach in, so even if you're certified say, in New York, you'll probably have to apply for certification again if you want to teach in say, Montana or Canada or Europe.

jimsandifer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nahualli
    -Nah-

Where are you interested in getting certification? Some U.S. states, such as Texas, allow certified teachers, to take a state certification test for ESL without requiring any courses.

Nahualli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jimsandifer
    Where are you interested in getting certification? Some U.S. states, such as Texas, allow certified teachers, to take a state certification test for ESL without requiring any courses.
    California

-Nah-