Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default whomever, social

    Dear teachers,
    I have two questions to ask:

    No.1
    I guess he will invite __________ you want.
    a. whomever b. whoever
    The key is "a". But "b" is also correct. Is that right?

    No.2
    Social_____ vary greatly from country to country.
    a. customs b. regulations
    The key is "a". Could you please explain why 'b' isn't correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whomever, social

    1. Whilst it is predicted that 'whom' and its variants (whomever,whomsoever) will disappear from English this century, currently it is still regarded as essential for correct, grammatical English.

    2. a 'regulation' is a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority, whereas a 'custom' is a traditional and widely accepted way of behaving or doing something in a country.
    It may be a social custom to use chopsticks in your country. If it were a 'social regulation', then the moment I pulled out my own knife and fork, the manager in the restaurant would call the police. It would be the same as smoking in a restaurant in Britain: it is not a social custom not to do so, but a regulation (a law).

  3. #3
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whomever, social

    Dear David,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand No.1 now.
    No.2 is difficult because 'regulation' can also mean 'an official rule or the act of controlling'. So from the single sentence how can I decide whether it is law or official rule? This is confusing. Could you please kindly explain more to me?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    1. Whilst it is predicted that 'whom' and its variants (whomever,whomsoever) will disappear from English this century, currently it is still regarded as essential for correct, grammatical English.

    2. a 'regulation' is a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority, whereas a 'custom' is a traditional and widely accepted way of behaving or doing something in a country.
    It may be a social custom to use chopsticks in your country. If it were a 'social regulation', then the moment I pulled out my own knife and fork, the manager in the restaurant would call the police. It would be the same as smoking in a restaurant in Britain: it is not a social custom not to do so, but a regulation (a law).

  4. #4
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whomever, social

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear David,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand No.1 now.
    No.2 is difficult because 'regulation' can also mean 'an official rule or the act of controlling'. So from the single sentence how can I decide whether it is law or official rule? This is confusing. Could you please kindly explain more to me?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    The collocation is far more likely to be "social custom" than "social regulation" which, as David indicates, is unlikely [though our government is doing its very best to regulate social custom as much as possible].

  5. #5
    thod00 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: whomever, social

    No.2 is difficult because 'regulation' can also mean 'an official rule or the act of controlling'. So from the single sentence how can I decide whether it is law or official rule? This is confusing. Could you please kindly explain more to me?
    In my country, the women will apply cosmetics to their faces in order to improve their appearance. The men do not (usually). There is no law that says men cannot do this too. Nor do the men wear skirts, once again, there is no law preventing them. These are customs of the people and not regulations.

  6. #6
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: whomever, social

    Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    In my country, the women will apply cosmetics to their faces in order to improve their appearance. The Men do not (usually). There is no law that says men cannot do this too. Nor do the men wear skirts, once again, there is no law preventing them. These are customs of the people and not regulations.
    Bear in mind, thod00, that while speaking about something or somebody in general, you do not need the definite article.
    And you know exactly why I point this out to you, mate.

Similar Threads

  1. Help Me!! Well This Is The Beginning Of A Essay Of Social Class
    By luzg in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2008, 23:57
  2. What does "a social depth" mean?
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2008, 17:41
  3. social networks coumminty
    By abdulwhab in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-May-2008, 07:26
  4. social range
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2008, 14:27
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2008, 13:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk