• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default home worker

Hi! This is a critical standard from an audit company to my former factory. It is in Excel format. My former co-worker asks me to help her translate into Chinese.

Could you please illustrate what 'home worker' is? Thank you!

59 Frisking by different gender

60 Restricted of legally granted collective bargaining agreements

61 Restricted freedom of association where legally allowed

62 Restricted freedom of organizing/joining union

63 Use of home workers

64 Minimum wage deficiency for the in-house subcontractor
    What does 'employee coaching' refer to? Does it refer to scolding?

Confirmed employee coaching( please verify it is confirmed employees coaching, DO NOT mix up with employee training
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 03-Mar-2009 at 12:05. Reason: co-work->co-worker; employ->employee

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: home worker

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi! This is a critical standard from an audit company to my former factory. It is in Excel format. My former co-work asks me to help her translate into Chinese.

Could you please illustrate what 'home worker' is? Thank you! A person who carries out his/her work for the company in his/her own home.

What does 'employ coaching' refer to? Does it refer to scolding?
    "confirmed employee" = the person has received confirmation of their appointment into a position within the company. He/She is then given extra coaching in their job. This is being contrasted to the basic training all employees receive on starting work.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! This is a critical standard from an audit company to my former factory. It is in Excel format. My former co-work asks me to help her translate into Chinese.

Could you please illustrate what 'home worker' is? Thank you!

What does 'employ coaching' refer to? Does it refer to scolding?
    A home-worker is someone who doesn't go in to an office every day, but works from home (not to be confused with 'homework' [what a schoolchild does] or 'housework' [dusting, ironing, etc.]). A home-worker typically logs on to their employer's computer network from a PC, and perhaps goes into the office for a weekly status meeting.

I've never met the term 'employee coaching', but I doubt if it means scolding. Here's my guess: employee training would involve instruction and practice (in an unreal environment), with maybe an element of 'on-the-job training); it would involve instructions like 'Do A like this, then do B like this, then do C like this, then do D....' Employee coaching would involve conversations like this:

Coach: 'I notice that when you do A you keep scribbling notes. If you spent the time to make those notes into a document, it would help you with B and C.'
    Employee: 'And I could cut and paste it into the weekly report I have to produce.'

b

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Anglika and BobK:

Thank you very much for your help. I've understood 'home worker'.

But I am afraid that the interpretations of yours about 'confirmed employee coaching' are not close to the context. The audit company lists what are critical situations for the factory I worked for. So I think 'comfirmed employee coaching' is NOT allowed according to the audit company's list.

I enclose the whole text for your reference if any of you have time to download and read it. I don't change the text but just highlighted the words I don't understand. I also convert the format of the file from excel to pdf, because excel format is not acceptable to the attachment in UE.
    Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 03-Mar-2009 at 12:30.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I enclose the whole text for your reference if any of you have time to download and read it. I don't change the text but just highlighted the words I don't understand. I also convert the format of the file from excel to pdf, because excel format is not acceptable to the attachment in UE.
    Thank you!
    Hmm The preceding item ('Confirmed falsified records, (time
    records, payroll records)' suggests that the confirmation applies not to the employee ( as A surmised) but to the whole thing - a confirmed instance of falsified records, a confirmed instance of employee coaching. This suggests that coaching is a bad thing, which is unusual. Unless it's bad in a particular context - like a tennis player can't (in an ATP tournament) receive coaching during a match.

I wish your friend luck with the translation! Some of the events defy understanding even in English; what is 'Denied access to the factory buildings
    that under the same business license'? What is 'Denied access to the document of the most recent sample months(3 months)'? 'Involuntarily terms for the employment contract'? ... It doesn't look as if the original was English - more like a bad translation from some other language; or perhaps it was originated in English, but written by a speaker of English as a second language.

b

Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    This suggests that coaching is a bad thing, which is unusual.

b
    You're right, the context of all this was a little confusing.

Employee coaching in this context is bad. If an employer coaches an employee to lie to authorities or journalists - for instance, to say, "There are no toxics chemicals buried out back," or "No, I didn't see the supervisor beat the organizer" - it can be a violation of all kinds of laws or standards.

Employee coaching is a commonplace practice. It protects companies from all kinds of investigations - labor, environmental, financial, criminal.

thod00 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand it is a list of offenses that the factory will use as a checklist. However the English versions are so poor I cannot understand what half of them refer to.

A factory is guilty of 'Employee Coaching'?

I am going to need a verbose explanation of this crime or misconduct.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only negative connotation to "employee coaching" that I can think of is if there is some sort of test or exam or even interview that employees are required to take, and someone (a supervisor, or someone who has already passed the test/interview) gives the correct answers to the employee.

For example, in the US during the 1950s, there was a scandal concerning TV game shows, where contestants who were popular with the audience (and therefore guaranteed bigger ratings) were "coached" backstage by production staff - the correct answers were hinted at in some way so that the popular player would continue to win.

I don't know if that applies in this situation, though...it's just a thought.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Thank you very much to take time to try to help me out. I think I got the idea of it.

I accept the interpretations or suggestions of Charlie's and Ouisch's. The other comments of yours are helpful too.

I'll detail it later because I have several files to do today. Just want to say thank you first.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I suppose that some of you might not work for a factory and experience the audit by a third party so it might a bit difficult to understand it.

Here're some background about the file. As you might hear about, there're some sweat factories in China. The contracted buyer is from the US. It doesn't want to cooperate those manufacturers which violate the human rights towards Chinese workers. So they ask a third party to audit the factories they have contracts with. The third party is going to assess the factory I worked for.

'Denied access to the factory buildings that under the same business license'
    When the third party accesses the factory, if they are denied access the factory buiding, this situation is not acceptable.

What is 'Denied access to the document of the most recent sample months(3 months)'?
    The third party will look up the documents of the factory's, such as work hours record, fire fighting policy, payroll record, to assure the factory is safe; the workers are not underpaid or ill-treated.

'Involuntarily terms for the employment contract'?
    The audit focuses on the blue-collars, though incude white-collars. Generally Chinese blue-collars are not well-educated, and some of them have to accept unfair conditions in the labour contract provided some bad factories, for example, work overtime, etc. or they might not get the job. Of course, I knew this just the reports of some Chinese media outlets.

As to 'so-called employee coaching', I think Charlie's interpretation is excellent. I've understood. Some factories might tell their workers to lie to the audit company. For example, if the workers are paid under minimus wage, that is not acceptable, but the factory management will possibly ask the workers to lie to the audit company. If such as a case is confirmed by the audit company, this is so-called confirmed employee coaching.

Finally, thank you very much for all of your responses again.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 04-Mar-2009 at 05:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast