Thread: My life

Post Thanks / Like

Default My life

It’s hard to believe that a person as young as I am at the age of twenty-five has gone through so much. My life has been a struggle because I was raped at the age of fifteen, and I felt terrified and lonely. I became pregnant, and I felt worried and scared. I lived seven miserable years with my abusive ex-husband; now I am happily married to a wonderful man. I felt like I was on a lonely highway with no way out. Finally, I found the courage to put my life back on track.

The first thing that happened was me being raped by a guy who I thought was my friend. I was only fifteen and a freshman in high school. I was walking to the store when he pulled up and offered me a ride, so I took it. He drove me to the store and we bought something to drink. He was supposed to take me back, but he didn’t, instead he drove me to the desert and that’s where he raped me. I was not able to notify the police or my parents because he had threatened to murder my family. I was really ignorant and stupid at the time, so I believed him.
    I became pregnant as a result of the rape. I was so scared of him that I ended up moving in with him. He made me convince my parents that I was in love with him, and we got married. My mom had a feeling that something was not right between me and him. She would always try to get me to come back home. My life became hell after that because he would hit me and call me names almost everyday. He would make me dress with baggy clothes and no makeup. He had me working two jobs, and he would sit outside the parking lot to make sure I wouldn’t smile or talk to any guys. He would take away all my money and waste it on other women. When our baby was born, he would also hit her for crying. Sometimes I would think that he was doing cocaine or something because his behavior was not normal. One day he asked me if I wanted to leave, and I said yes. That day I got a beating that I will always remember. I was really tired of life at this point. I told him that I would do whatever he wanted me to, but to please stop abusing me and the baby.
    I ended up having two more children with him over the next seven years. He wouldn’t allow me to visit my parents, and if they would visit me, I was not allowed to open the door for them. I remember coming home from work feeling nervous and not knowing what to expect from him. I would often pray and asked God, “What did I do to deserve this?” I felt like I had been a good daughter and a good person in general. One day I finally had enough of his abuse and I found the strength and courage to plan my escape.
    We had lived in many different cities and states, Arizona, Chicago, Massachusetts, and Florida. We were currently living In Boston, Massachusetts when he got involved in some illegal activities. The law soon caught up to him, and he moved us back to Arizona. This is the point where I started my escape plan. I had a car that was not reliable, and it was parked at his friend’s house. I asked him one day “Why don’t we go pick up my car so we could have two cars.” He agreed. I already knew that my car would only run for about five minutes and then stop. When we went to pick up my car, I was praying he would drive my car and he would leave my kids and me alone in his car. My prayers were answered because he did just that. As I already knew, my car broke down on him. As soon as I realized that my car wasn’t going anywhere and he couldn’t chase me, I took off as fast as I could. I drove without stopping heading towards California.
    When I got to California, I moved in with my uncle and I filed for divorce. It took awhile for my divorce to go through because they couldn’t locate him to serve him with the divorce papers. My divorce was eventually finalized and I was a free woman once again. I felt really happy and free. I hadn’t felt this way for a long time. After awhile I met a guy named Oscar at work, and we became friends and soon started dating. When he asked me to move in with him, I felt a little nervous and insecure. My heart finally got the best of me and I agreed. We are now married and have a nine-month-old baby girl, named Melanie. He has helped me overcome my fears and issues that I had with my ex-husband.
    After everything I’ve been through in my twenty-five years of life, I have managed to change things around. I found the courage to leave my abusive ex-husband and start a new life for my children and me. I gave love a second chance and now I am happily married to a wonderful man who accepts my kids as his own. I overcame an ordeal, but thanks to God and my will to survive, I am now living the life I had always dreamed of.

thod00 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My life

A moving story. I can't see anything to fault, unless I was nitpicking with the grammar, but then that could be the desired style of the writing.

It reads as if it was written by a native speaker, right down to the phrasing.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My life

Quote Originally Posted by EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead View Post
    He was supposed to take me back, but he didn’t.
    Back where? Back to the store?

Quote Originally Posted by EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead View Post
    We were currently living In Boston, Massachusetts when he got involved in some illegal activities.

The writing is effective. It's a well-told story. The part about the woman moving in with her rapist is hard to believe though.

(Space between paragraphs.)

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: My life

Thank you for your comments. I know it's hard to believe, but it happened. I was only fifteen years old and really ignorant at the time. I feared for the life of my parents and my brothers. I still fear for their lives at this moment because he did go to my parents house and pulled out a gun to my dads head. The only reason he didn't shoot him was because the police were on there way. He knew this because my mom wasn't near my dad, so he assumed that my mom had called the cops. He's still out there somewhere planning what he's going to do next.