Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Maths requires attention

    "Mathematics requires attention, just as a painting requires attention and heart from a painter."

    Does that sound ok?

    Thanks,
    Nyggus

  2. #2
    pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Maths requires attention

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    "Mathematics requires attention, just as a painting requires attention and heart from a painter."

    Does that sound ok?

    Thanks,
    Nyggus
    Yes. I might leave out the word 'a', because you are not referring to 'a' painting, but to the act of painting.
    Of course, the inclusion of 'and heart' throws the parallel construction off a bit. Perhaps if you used 'commitment' (rather than 'attention') in both clauses, it would encompass the idea of heart.

    I hope this is helpful,

    Petra

  3. #3
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Maths requires attention

    Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Yes. I might leave out the word 'a', because you are not referring to 'a' painting, but to the act of painting.
    Of course, the inclusion of 'and heart' throws the parallel construction off a bit. Perhaps if you used 'commitment' (rather than 'attention') in both clauses, it would encompass the idea of heart.

    I hope this is helpful,

    Petra
    Maybe:
    "Mathematics requires attention and commitment, just as painting requires attention and heart from a painter."

    Is it fine?

    Thanks,
    Nyggus

  4. #4
    pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Maths requires attention

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Maybe:
    "Mathematics requires attention and commitment, just as painting requires attention and heart from a painter."

    Is it fine?

    Thanks,
    Nyggus
    Yes, it's fine. I suggested 'commitment' because, in my mind it encompasses 'heart.' I was trying to save you some ink! Your version is fine.

Similar Threads

  1. pay me a little attention
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2008, 14:23
  2. to call attention/ to draw attention
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2008, 12:56
  3. all my maths was right... Huh?
    By Deen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-May-2006, 15:50
  4. Catch attention??
    By cok in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2006, 14:39
  5. flailing about and calling attention
    By zeppy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2004, 18:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •