Unregistered Guest

Default there's/there're

Is the rule of using there's(there is) versus there're (there are) pretty loose in speaking American English? Because I often hear someone using 'there's' follow by some plural nouns. So whenever I hear that, I don't know if they are actually wrong and am I wrong? This question has been bugging me for a long time, so if anyone can help that'd be great.

For example, I was listening to this radio show and the DJ said "there's four questions left..."

you can find the audio clip that I've clipped out from the show here: zSHARE - sample.mp3

or if you don't want to download that for whatever reasons, here's the direct link to the radio show and the part starts at 28:17
    http://icestream.bonnint.net/seattle...009310_8pm.mp3

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

matilda Guest

Default Re: there's/there're

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is the rule of using there's(there is) versus there're (there are) pretty loose in speaking American English? Because I often hear someone using 'there's' follow by some plural nouns. So whenever I hear that, I don't know if they are actually wrong and am I wrong? This question has been bugging me for a long time, so if anyone can help that'd be great.

For example, I was listening to this radio show and the DJ said "there's four questions left..."

you can find the audio clip that I've clipped out from the show here: zSHARE - sample.mp3

or if you don't want to download that for whatever reasons, here's the direct link to the radio show and the part starts at 28:17
    http://icestream.bonnint.net/seattle...009310_8pm.mp3

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My dear friend:
    First welcome to this site.
    I hope it helps you learn english better

About your question:
    I faced the same problem when i first started learning english, and a teacher toold me that it is exactly like my own language,farsi.
    In Iran, we sometimes use wrong verb for a subject.
    This only happens in vonversation, not in written form
    Hope it heps you

Mathilde