Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: meshing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: meshing

Quote Originally Posted by AintFoolin
    it's saying that the goals of the military-industrial complex conflict with our goals of peace and security, so we have to keep a close watch on it to ensure that it is serving our needs and not the other way around

or in short, the military and it's supporting companies are evil and should always be obstructed as a matter of principle

My version:

"You have to be on the ball to know how to mix industry with the production of warfare for defence purposes".( in other words we would never attack ourselves...it already sends a very noble message, doesn't it?)

Well, I won't even bother with the rest. Sounds to me like a communist propaganda slogan. It can really give you one massive headache the size of Grand Canyon.

AintFoolin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    My version:

"You have to be on the ball to know how to mix industry with the production of warfare for defence purposes".( in other words we would never attack ourselves...it already sends a very noble message, doesn't it?)
    The original quote actually comes from Eisenhower's farewell speech and it spawned the whole 'anti-military-industrial complex' movement.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...strial_complex

the thinking goes like this: companies (like say Raytheon) sell arms to the government. As a good capitalist company, they want to increase their sales. How do they increase sales? By causing wars of course! So you see all these companies are pulling strings behind the scenes to ensure continued war and continued sales.

He realizes that such companies are indeed necessary for our self-defense (a necessary evil as it were), but warns that we must keep them on a very short leash. Thus the comment about the difficulty of meshing a robust arms industry with a desire for peace. Trying to keep both of them is like trying to mix oil and water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AintFoolin
    The original quote actually comes from Eisenhower's farewell speech and it spawned the whole 'anti-military-industrial complex' movement.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...strial_complex

the thinking goes like this: companies (like say Raytheon) sell arms to the government. As a good capitalist company, they want to increase their sales. How do they increase sales? By causing wars of course! So you see all these companies are pulling strings behind the scenes to ensure continued war and continued sales.

He realizes that such companies are indeed necessary for our self-defense (a necessary evil as it were), but warns that we must keep them on a very short leash. Thus the comment about the difficulty of meshing a robust arms industry with a desire for peace. Trying to keep both of them is like trying to mix oil and water.

Well, that makes more sense now that I know where it came from. It sure explains a few things even though I find the style somewhat questionable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12