Thread: These / Those

Post Thanks / Like

Default These / Those

http://www.lavalife.sympatico.msn.ca/105/guest/main.act
    1. I'm serious about those last two and I did learn to love them. (How come 'those' isn't 'these'? How do you know which one to use? Could you explain to me on how to use these/those? Thanks. I know 'these' is used for somethings that are close to you and 'those' is used for somethings that are far away from you. Could you also tell me about the other rules for it? )

Are these correct? What do they mean??
    2. I know 'these' is used for somethings that are close to you and 'those' is used for somethings that are far away from you.
    3. I know 'these' is used for something that is close to you and 'those' is used for something that is far away from you.

4. I know 'these' is used for a something thatis close to you and 'those' is used for a something that isfar away from you. ('a' sounds odd here, why? 'something' is not countable or countable? It is a pronoun? What is a pronoun?)
    Last edited by jack; 16-Dec-2004 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: These / Those

1. I'm serious about those last two.
    => the two things I just mentioned.

Example
    These things bother me: traffic, cold coffee, and burnt soup. Those things (I just mentioned) don't bother eveybody, though.

2. and 3. are correct.

4. is incorrect. 'something' already has a determiner, and it's built right into word: some+thing, some+things.

Post Thanks / Like

These things bother me: traffic, cold coffee, and burnt soup. Those things (I just mentioned) don't bother eveybody, though.
    Thanks.

What do these mean?
    1. These things bother me: traffic, cold coffee, and burnt soup. These things (I just mentioned) don't bother eveybody, though.
    2. 1. These things bother me: traffic, cold coffee, and burnt soup. Those things (I just mentioned) don't bother eveybody, though.

Could you give me some more examples one these/those? Also, If you know a website on that, could you give me that too? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Thanks.

What do these mean?
    1. These things bother me: traffic, cold coffee, and burnt soup. These things (I just mentioned) don't bother eveybody, though.
    2. 1. These things bother me: traffic, cold coffee, and burnt soup. Those things (I just mentioned) don't bother eveybody, though.

Could you give me some more examples one these/those? Also, If you know a website on that, could you give me that too? Thanks.
    1. is odd. 'These' refers forward, not backward.

As for a site on demonstrative pronouns, try searching under that term. There are plenty of sites listed. Choose the one that speaks to you.