Thread: Gibran

Unregistered Guest

Default Gibran

I am asking for my own knowledge, so it does not have to be an extensive answer...but in the Prophet by Gibran...he writes : "What man's law shall bind you if you break your yolk but upon no man's prison door?" I understand his implication...but I have never heard this idiomatic phrase before. Is anyone familiar with where it came from? How it came to mean exactly what it implies in the passage? (which is that the most enlightend men...the men "out of the cave" if you will...have nobody to govern their so called 'unruley' desires...
    Anyone got anything? Thanks!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gibran

Yolk or yoke?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I am asking for my own knowledge, so it does not have to be an extensive answer...but in the Prophet by Gibran...he writes : "What man's law shall bind you if you break your yolk but upon no man's prison door?" I understand his implication...but I have never heard this idiomatic phrase before. Is anyone familiar with where it came from? How it came to mean exactly what it implies in the passage? (which is that the most enlightend men...the men "out of the cave" if you will...have nobody to govern their so called 'unruley' desires...
    Anyone got anything? Thanks!
    I agree with tdol. The word should be 'yoke', a wooden crosspiece fastened over the neck of an animal that's attached to a plough/wagon to be pulled. Unharness the yoke and the animal is free to wander where ever it wants.

Kalil Gibran (1883-1931) is talking about perceptions: Our perceptions determine how we think, and when we alter our perceptions (i.e., break free from the yoke) it changes the way we think about, or see the world around us.

In short,

What real harm is there (i.e., what man's law) in altering the way you perceive the world around you (i.e., break your yoke) when it serves to enlighten, and not to debase (i.e., but upon no man's prison door).