FFunny Guest

David and is it OK?

My parents would love (love) it if I became (become) a doctor but I am not sure Iíd be able to face all those years of study. Also if I were (be) a doctor, I would hate (hate) all those hours you have to work.
    These days I use the Internet more and more to do my shopping. If I hadnít had (not/have) my computer, I wouldnít have known (not/know) what to do. I buy clothes, books and DVD online as well as holidays. If you hadn't found (not/find) what you want in the shops, you would have found (find) it on the Internet. Iím going to Barcelona in a few weeks and Iím going to buy my ticket on the Internet because it saves (save) me about $50 if I do (do) it that way.
    This production of Shakespeareís play will surprised (surprise) you, unless you are used to (be used to) seeing all the characters being played by just 2 people.
    Eggs are best kept at a cool room temperature, so I donít keep my eggs in the fridge. If I keep (keep) them in the fridge I take (take) them out half an hour before cooking. However, not everyone has somewhere cool to keep eggs. If you havenít (not/have) a cool place to store them in your home, you have to (have to) use the fridge, but just remember to take them out in time.

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: David and is it OK?

Hello FF,

That's very good - there are only two mistakes.

Look again at the formation of the future tense, and shopping online.

Best wishes,

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: David and is it OK?

My parents would love (love) it if I became (become) a doctor but I am not sure I’d be able to face all those years of study. Also if I were (be) a doctor, I would hate (hate) all those hours you have to work.
    These days I use the Internet more and more to do my shopping. If I hadn’t had (not/have) my computer, I wouldn’t have known (not/know) what to do. I buy clothes, books and DVD online as well as holidays.

If you hadn't found (not/find) what you want wanted in the shops, you would have found (find) it on the Internet.: from the choices you have, the verb forms are correct. Since this is not one connected passage, I take it this sentence occurs in relative isolation.
    Another construction would be:
    If you couldn't find what you wanted in the shops, you would/could find it on the Internet.
    I’m going to Barcelona in a few weeks and I’m going to buy my ticket on the Internet because it saves (save) me about $50 if I do (do) it that way.
    This production of Shakespeare’s play will surprised surprise (surprise) you, unless you are used to (be used to) seeing all the characters being played by just 2 people.
    Eggs are best kept at a cool room temperature, so I don’t keep my eggs in the fridge. If I did keep (keep) them in the fridge, then I would take (take) them out half an hour before cooking. However, not everyone has somewhere cool to keep eggs. If you haven’t (not/have) a cool place to store them in your home, you will have to (have to) use the fridge, but just remember to take them out in time.
    Last edited by David L.; 16-Mar-2009 at 09:47.