Thread: Help on request

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Help on request

Dear all,

firstly, I would like to extend my sincere greeting to all of you, I would like to improve my english but I only learn myself and test myself on the web. It seems boring. I need some help from you. Whenever I give a topic. it last shortly. May be it is not interesting and no one wants to discuss. One thing more is that i join chating room to have conversation online but don't know how to exchange. I introduce some about myself and finish my conversation there. I don't know what to say. I always keep silent cause the room is public and I scare to talk so much. Hope coming here I can have a good chance to share my ideas.

If someone likes to teach or exchange the opinion in english please join here and give the topic to talk.

Someone can correct my writing please don't hesitate to let me know.
    thanks so much.

coovey is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help on request

i interesting in your topic, i agree and join topic. although my english is not good but i hope everybody join ,too

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you may find that many of your worries are unnecessary; you say you don't know how to 'exchange', but your English is good enough for that. Often, getting started is the hardest part, but you've already done that here, so welcome to the forum. Have a look around and feel free to take part in the discussions going on.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you posted in the General Members Discussion thread yet? This is a good place to introduce yourself to the rest of the Forum and to gain more confidence in "chatting" with other members without actually going to the chat room.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Help on request

dear all,,

I thank you very much to support me. you encourage me so much. I feel more confident and happy to continue my post here. It is the first time I have threaded here in english. I am worry my writting that is not good to let you understand. I intend to learn more even I don't explain my thought clearly. I sometime give wrong explaination cause I use wrong english word. I make someone scare of me because he (she) misunderstand. Hopefully my post can attract more people who live all over the world and special native language people. You can join here and share your thought and idea. You can become my english teacher.

I like to speak in english but I can't find anyone in my place to practise. That why I come here. I wish every day I open my computer and have many messages for me to read and I write again. My post is received by everyone who have same idea as well as I can make friend with all of you.
    Thanks Idol and Ouisch and hope to receive your post regular here.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi gacon,

I don't think that you should be worried about being afraid to talk while in a chat room. Have you tried asking someone else a question? Usually when I am meeting someone online for the first time, our conversation goes somewhat like this:

Me: Hi
    Them: Hey
    Me: How are you?
    Them: Fine, thanks. You?
    Me: I'm good, thanks. What is your name?
    Them: My name is ____, yours?
    Me: I'm Sese. Are you American?
    Them: No, I'm Chinese living in Hong Kong.
    Me: Ohhh, I hear Hong Kong is a really nice place! Do you like it?

And the conversation continues from there. That was a really made up conversation, so it might not actually go that smoothly in real life. But essentially, if you ask someone something about where they live, you have the potential to have a very large conversation because they will also usually ask you about where you live.

Also, it is much easier to add yourself to conversations on the internet. If you notice people having a conversation that you are not a part of, just make a comment about what they are saying or ask them a question and they will usually just automatically include you as part of the conversation. It is not seen as rude when you are online, so take advantage of it! Also, if you would like to chat to me anytime, just send me a message, or leave one for me at my blog Dreams of Teaching English Abroad.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Help on request

Quote Originally Posted by SeseinAsia View Post
    Hi gacon,

I don't think that you should be worried about being afraid to talk while in a chat room. Have you tried asking someone else a question? Usually when I am meeting someone online for the first time, our conversation goes somewhat like this:

Me: Hi
    Them: Hey
    Me: How are you?
    Them: Fine, thanks. You?
    Me: I'm good, thanks. What is your name?
    Them: My name is ____, yours?
    Me: I'm Sese. Are you American?
    Them: No, I'm Chinese living in Hong Kong.
    Me: Ohhh, I hear Hong Kong is a really nice place! Do you like it?

And the conversation continues from there. That was a really made up conversation, so it might not actually go that smoothly in real life. But essentially, if you ask someone something about where they live, you have the potential to have a very large conversation because they will also usually ask you about where you live.

Also, it is much easier to add yourself to conversations on the internet. If you notice people having a conversation that you are not a part of, just make a comment about what they are saying or ask them a question and they will usually just automatically include you as part of the conversation. It is not seen as rude when you are online, so take advantage of it! Also, if you would like to chat to me anytime, just send me a message, or leave one for me at my blog Dreams of Teaching English Abroad.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I also did that and the conversation last some minutes and then stop. There's nothing in my mind to talk. I don't know what to say. I kept silent in a moment. However I still try to improve and talk more.