kay Guest

Arrow how girls can be gal's

1.how girls can be gals? Please explain to me.Thank you
    2.which one is true my most expensive book or my the most expensive book.I would say thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how girls can be gal's

Quote Originally Posted by kay
    2.which one is true my most expensive book or my the most expensive book.I would say thanks again
    Girls are girls doing "girlie" things. What age group have you got in mind?
    Little girls play with Barbies, older girls hang around together - go to the movies together, slap a whole pile of make up on their faces to make themselves look older (13 going on 30), go clothes shopping together, watch movies together, stay on the phone for hours (or the computer....chatting) driving their parents up the wall. At this stage of the game one topic prevails...boys. And it's a never ending topic, believe me. Girls like sleepover parties or just plain sleep overs where they can get together to do fun stuff -movies and pop corn, dancing, and - what girls do best -talking.

I am sorry about #2 question...I don't think I understand -can you rephrase it for me, please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kay
    In addition,

gal is an alternative pronunciation for girl. Back in the 1920s, all the way up until now, but not as prolific in usage, the word gals was and still is a term of endearment, used by both women and men to refer to adult women.

Today though, given the focus on "language as power", the word gals is not as common as it was back then because gals refers to young females, or females who, because of their age, are not taken seriously.

In Asia, being referred to as a young girl, especially if age is an issue, can be taken as a compliment, but in North American, where being young of age is equated with lack of experience, being called gal can be taken as an insult. And there's also the diminutive, or endearment part to consider as well. Endearment terms, as you probably already know, tend not to be used in business. Such terms are more common among friend or at home.

As an endearment term, gals is still in use today, and it's alive and kicking in various dialects, even in idiolects, or a person's preferred usage. A case in point, my sister, who is in her late 20s, uses the term gals when talking about her adult female friends.

In response to question 2., try,

"This is my most expensive book."
    "This is the most expensive book I own."

x-mas:

kay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Girls are girls doing "girlie" things. What age group have you got in mind?
    Little girls play with Barbies, older girls hang around together - go to the movies together, slap a whole pile of make up on their faces to make themselves look older (13 going on 30), go clothes shopping together, watch movies together, stay on the phone for hours (or the computer....chatting) driving their parents up the wall. At this stage of the game one topic prevails...boys. And it's a never ending topic, believe me. Girls like sleepover parties or just plain sleep overs where they can get together to do fun stuff -movies and pop corn, dancing, and - what girls do best -talking.

I am sorry about #2 question...I don't think I understand -can you rephrase it for me, please?
    2.which one is true
    -My most expensive books
    -My the most expensive books

kay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    In addition,

gal is an alternative pronunciation for girl. Back in the 1920s, all the way up until now, but not as prolific in usage, the word gals was and still is a term of endearment, used by both women and men to refer to adult women.

Today though, given the focus on "language as power", the word gals is not as common as it was back then because gals refers to young females, or females who, because of their age, are not taken seriously.

In Asia, being referred to as a young girl, especially if age is an issue, can be taken as a compliment, but in North American, where being young of age is equated with lack of experience, being called gal can be taken as an insult. And there's also the diminutive, or endearment part to consider as well. Endearment terms, as you probably already know, tend not to be used in business. Such terms are more common among friend or at home.

As an endearment term, gals is still in use today, and it's alive and kicking in various dialects, even in idiolects, or a person's preferred usage. A case in point, my sister, who is in her late 20s, uses the term gals when talking about her adult female friends.

In response to question 2., try,

"This is my most expensive book."
    "This is the most expensive book I own."

x-mas:
    Thanks