Post Thanks / Like

Default I will breaking for lunch now.

Respected,
    please clarify this for me.
    I will breaking for lunch now.
    Is this sentence structure is correct?
    Please correct me If i am wrong, I appreciate your help.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Regards
    Madhu

greegorush is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I will breaking for lunch now.

I'm not a teacher!

I'm breaking for lunch now (for an action just before you begin to do it).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm breaking for lunch now (for an action just before you begin to do it).

Not quite. It's a small but essential point here.

'am breaking' is Present Continuous. Hence, at the moment of speaking, NOW, the action/event has begun, is in progress, (and the speaker foresees an end to the event).
    Thus, it cannot indicate "an action just before you begin to do it".
    The event began in the speaker's mind when he made the decision 'to break for lunch'. He then announces his decision.

"I will be breaking for lunch now" is the announcement 'for an action just before you begin to do it'.

greegorush is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David L.
    I clearly remember that in my Grammar Book the present continous with a future meaning could be used for an action just before you begin to do it (especially with verbs of movement):
    I'm tired. I'm going home now.
    I'm coming...I'm leaving...etc.
    Is it possible in this way? Or better use the future continous and the present continous only for arrangements?

Post Thanks / Like

I love these kinds of issues!
    Here's what I found (on the Internet) written on:
    Present Progressive with Future Meaning
    In addition to the two basic functions of the Present Progressive (to talk about something happening at this moment and to talk about something happening generally at this time), the Present Progressive verb tense can also be used to talk about the future.

For example:
    Q. What are you doing tonight?
    A. I'm having dinner with my mother.

Q. When is she coming home?
    A. She is coming home this weekend.

There are three ways in which we structure our outlook on the world in terms of time:
    1. what we regard as past, remote, complete, over, not relevant to my current life -in the archives
    2. what I regard as in the remote future (irrespective of the clock time between NOW, and the event) -
    3. what I regard as relevant to my current life ( which, by default if not design) is everything else!)

Take the sentence:
    One day, we'll go to Hawaii too, just like the Smiths. - Simple Future tense form of the verb.

If 10 minutes later, I say, 'damn your face lift: we're going to use that money and save up some more and go to Hawaii in 2010!. I'm seeing the travel agent first thing tomorrow. We're going to Hawaii!'
    What has changed in 10 minutes, that my tense has changed? That for a 'future event' 12-18 months away, 10 minutes less can make such a difference that I use a different tense form? From now on, when someone asks, "Where are you off to on holidays this year?", you reply along the lines, "Nothing this year, but we're going to Hawaii next year."
    (With the less impulsive, more cautious individual, who wants to make sure he can afford it, the shift comes when he gets a great package holiday deal and has the booking made and tickets in his hands!)
    For the person, 'am going to Hawaii' is not restricted to the actual plane journey, just as "I'm going on a cruise next month" is not restricted to actually boarding the cruise ship. It is no longer some remote future possibility, but psychologically, has become part of and relevant to their present life.
    If not...if not...then we must ask ourselves, at what point in this whole time scale does 'am going' cease to be pointing to a future event, and transform into the actuality of the event/action in progress. At the airport? On the plane? EITHER WOULD BE AN ARBITRARY DECISION ON OUR PART, quite independent of the Present Continuous tense form.

To return to the two pieces of conversation above:
    Q. What are you doing tonight?
    A. I'm having dinner with my mother.

X sees A later that morning and says, you must watch the news at 7. There's an interesting item on. A responds, "I can't. I will be having dinner at my mother's then, and she's a stickler for dinner and conversation at the table.
    That the event/action of 'I'm having dinner" has 'begun', and is having an impact now on his life, is seen in the very fact that A is having to organize his time around this event; that it is highly relevant to his life before he turns up at his mother's front door. A is able to shift this focus, when responding to it as the actual FUTURE event of being at the table at 7 p.m.,that this will clash, and respond in those terms, "I will be busy."
    Q. When is she coming home?
    A. She is coming home this weekend.

That this event has begun in the person's mind might be evidenced in the extra house cleaning going on, buying theatre tickets, etc.
    Present Continuous:
    ......my life............<am singing in the school choir tomorrow.........Now(as you tell someone this).............sing>.............my life
    Even if a second after the decision is made, Present Continuous indicates an action begun prior to speaking, ongoing, temporary in that a definite 'end' to the event/action is foreseen.
    Last edited by David L.; 18-Mar-2009 at 16:38.