Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Unregistered Guest

Default I Maintain This Is Not A Sentence.

I maintain the following is not a sentence. If someone could authoritatively confirm this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the sentence:

"The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter."

Thank you,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Maintain This Is Not A Sentence.

I am not sure what you meant

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings,

I am "wordsmith", and this is a reply to my first post (to myself) because I started out as an unregistered user. Now I am registered as "wordsmith", and I am still looking for an answer from a teacher, if necessary, or any other qualified authority on the subject, to the question, "Is this actually a sentence?" I maintain that it is not, but I'm looking for confirmation on this. Again, the sentence is as follows:

"The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter."

Also, LeUyenHoc, I hope this post serves to clarify my question for you, as you had mentioned that you were not sure what I meant.

Thanks to all responders in advance,

John Wordsmith

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, one of those hair-splitters of a problem.
    A sentence is a grammatical unit of one or more words, so "I?" would be regarded as a sentence.
    A simple complete sentence has a subject and a predicate; and a predicate includes a verb.
    Where's the verb in, "The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter."?

All split ends aside, I think most people would not regard it as a 'sentence' because it does not have a verb.
    However, Wordsmith awaits an authority amongst us. Consider my contribution as the warm-up act before the star performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
    Greetings,

I am "wordsmith", and this is a reply to my first post (to myself) because I started out as an unregistered user. Now I am registered as "wordsmith", and I am still looking for an answer from a teacher, if necessary, or any other qualified authority on the subject, to the question, "Is this actually a sentence?" I maintain that it is not, but I'm looking for confirmation on this. Again, the sentence is as follows:

Also, LeUyenHoc, I hope this post serves to clarify my question for you, as you had mentioned that you were not sure what I meant.

Thanks to all responders in advance,

John Wordsmith
    Thanks. I do not agree that is a sentence. Basically a sentence must include at least one verb with regard to a tense

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeUyenHoc View Post
    Thanks. I do not agree that is a sentence. Basically a sentence must include at least one verb with regard to a tense
    In other words, a finite verb. Of course, in speech there is room for much abbreviation: 'Who's there?'/'[It is] Me'. But in the case of something that presumably has the ambition of being part of a formal agreement, 'being' doesn't cut it. The expression quoted in the OP is just an expression.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I maintain the following is not a sentence. If someone could authoritatively confirm this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the sentence:

Thank you,

John
    SORRY sir unable to get your sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Let me start by saying, "I am not a teacher". I am somewhat new to online forums... certainly new to this one. But here is an additional question to accompany my original question about whether or not the referenced quote is a sentence or not. Ah, yes... the question. In as much as I have posted my question in a forum entitled "Ask a Teacher", am I entitled to hold the expectation that I will receive a response from a teacher? And how long am I likely to wait for this response? Am I going about this in the correct manner? Any and all responses to the questions I have posed here will be most welcome, indeed, as I feel uncertain with regard to my proficiency in blogging on this site.

Thank you,

John Wordsmith

Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
    Hello. Let me start by saying, "I am not a teacher". I am somewhat new to online forums... certainly new to this one. But here is an additional question to accompany my original question about whether or not the referenced quote is a sentence or not. Ah, yes... the question. In as much as I have posted my question in a forum entitled "Ask a Teacher", am I entitled to hold the expectation that I will receive a response from a teacher? And how long am I likely to wait for this response? Am I going about this in the correct manner? Any and all responses to the questions I have posed here will be most welcome, indeed, as I feel uncertain with regard to my proficiency in blogging on this site.

Thank you,

John Wordsmith
    You're there, John! You got a perfectly good answer from a perfectly good teacher, David L.

I'm not a teacher, but I edit copy and have tutored college writing. Again, you're right. It's not a sentence. If that's not autHoritative enough, how's this?: IT'S NOT A SENTENCE.

Why do you ask?

Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Thank you,

John
    You're right. It's not a sentence. It could be a dependent clause attached to a sentence. Or you could change "being" to "is" so that the core sentence would be "Validity is."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast