Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Unregistered Guest

Default I Maintain This Is Not A Sentence.

I maintain the following is not a sentence. If someone could authoritatively confirm this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the sentence:

"The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter."

Thank you,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Maintain This Is Not A Sentence.

I am not sure what you meant

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings,

I am "wordsmith", and this is a reply to my first post (to myself) because I started out as an unregistered user. Now I am registered as "wordsmith", and I am still looking for an answer from a teacher, if necessary, or any other qualified authority on the subject, to the question, "Is this actually a sentence?" I maintain that it is not, but I'm looking for confirmation on this. Again, the sentence is as follows:

"The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter."

Also, LeUyenHoc, I hope this post serves to clarify my question for you, as you had mentioned that you were not sure what I meant.

Thanks to all responders in advance,

John Wordsmith

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, one of those hair-splitters of a problem.
    A sentence is a grammatical unit of one or more words, so "I?" would be regarded as a sentence.
    A simple complete sentence has a subject and a predicate; and a predicate includes a verb.
    Where's the verb in, "The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter."?

All split ends aside, I think most people would not regard it as a 'sentence' because it does not have a verb.
    However, Wordsmith awaits an authority amongst us. Consider my contribution as the warm-up act before the star performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
    Greetings,

I am "wordsmith", and this is a reply to my first post (to myself) because I started out as an unregistered user. Now I am registered as "wordsmith", and I am still looking for an answer from a teacher, if necessary, or any other qualified authority on the subject, to the question, "Is this actually a sentence?" I maintain that it is not, but I'm looking for confirmation on this. Again, the sentence is as follows:

Also, LeUyenHoc, I hope this post serves to clarify my question for you, as you had mentioned that you were not sure what I meant.

Thanks to all responders in advance,

John Wordsmith
    Thanks. I do not agree that is a sentence. Basically a sentence must include at least one verb with regard to a tense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I maintain the following is not a sentence. If someone could authoritatively confirm this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the sentence:

Thank you,

John
    SORRY sir unable to get your sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Let me start by saying, "I am not a teacher". I am somewhat new to online forums... certainly new to this one. But here is an additional question to accompany my original question about whether or not the referenced quote is a sentence or not. Ah, yes... the question. In as much as I have posted my question in a forum entitled "Ask a Teacher", am I entitled to hold the expectation that I will receive a response from a teacher? And how long am I likely to wait for this response? Am I going about this in the correct manner? Any and all responses to the questions I have posed here will be most welcome, indeed, as I feel uncertain with regard to my proficiency in blogging on this site.

Thank you,

John Wordsmith

Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you,

John
    You're right. It's not a sentence. It could be a dependent clause attached to a sentence. Or you could change "being" to "is" so that the core sentence would be "Validity is."

Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
    Hello. Let me start by saying, "I am not a teacher". I am somewhat new to online forums... certainly new to this one. But here is an additional question to accompany my original question about whether or not the referenced quote is a sentence or not. Ah, yes... the question. In as much as I have posted my question in a forum entitled "Ask a Teacher", am I entitled to hold the expectation that I will receive a response from a teacher? And how long am I likely to wait for this response? Am I going about this in the correct manner? Any and all responses to the questions I have posed here will be most welcome, indeed, as I feel uncertain with regard to my proficiency in blogging on this site.

Thank you,

John Wordsmith
    You're there, John! You got a perfectly good answer from a perfectly good teacher, David L.

I'm not a teacher, but I edit copy and have tutored college writing. Again, you're right. It's not a sentence. If that's not autHoritative enough, how's this?: IT'S NOT A SENTENCE.

Why do you ask?

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you,

John
    It looks like an absolute nominative participial construction cut off from the main part of the sentence. They have their own doer different from the sentence subject and an incomplete predicate. We could try to reconstruct the sentence:

The validity of the results ultimately being the responsibility of the interpreter, we turned down all the accusations of incompetence.

The relation between the two parts of the sentence is that of cause-consequence ('As the validity ..., we ...). Syntactically, the fragment in question functions as an adverbial modifier of reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast