Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: fight or flight

  1. #1
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default fight or flight

    May I know the meaning and usage of "fight or flight"? Is it an idiom?

    Thanks / ju

  2. #2
    Soup's Avatar
    Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    Stay and fight (be brave) or run away (be a coward).

  3. #3
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Stay and fight (be brave) or run away (be a coward).


    May I try to make a sentence with 'fight or flight'?

    "Now we are in great danger, it's a matter of life and death. Have you made up your mind whether you go for fight or flight?"

    Thanks / ju

  4. #4
    thod00 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    "Now we are in great danger, it's a matter of life and death. Have you made up your mind whether you go for fight or flight?"
    Sounds an odd way to phrase it to me.

    When presented with a danger signal, the body pumps adrenaline into the blood. This primes the muscles for action, creates the 'tunnel vision' and slowed time response in the brain, and shuts down secondary functions such as digestion of food. This is called the "fight or flight" response and was useful to our ancestors who frequently encountered hostile wild animals and people. In such a situation you only have two options. You either ready your knife to fight the animal, or you run away.

    You don't really "make up your mind" on this. Those that stood around, taking time to make up their mind were the ones that got eaten. The system is built into our bodies so that we react without much thought. When being chased by a lion, it doesn't matter who is the fastest runner. What matters is who is the slowest.

  5. #5
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    Sounds an odd way to phrase it to me.

    When presented with a danger signal, the body pumps adrenaline into the blood. This primes the muscles for action, creates the 'tunnel vision' and slowed time response in the brain, and shuts down secondary functions such as digestion of food. This is called the "fight or flight" response and was useful to our ancestors who frequently encountered hostile wild animals and people. In such a situation you only have two options. You either ready your knife to fight the animal, or you run away.

    You don't really "make up your mind" on this. Those that stood around, taking time to make up their mind were the ones that got eaten. The system is built into our bodies so that we react without much thought. When being chased by a lion, it doesn't matter who is the fastest runner. What matters is who is the slowest.


    Then, could I have an example with 'fight or flight' in a sentence?

    Thanks / ju

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    If you open the attachment to this post, you'll find dozens of examples taken from Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA)

    It's hard to copy the results and put them in a post as they come in a table, so I saved them down as an html page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  7. #7
    Charlie Bernstein is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    The expression comes from the fight-or-flight response. An animal (or person) facing danger needs to decide quickly whether to fight or flee:

    Fight-or-flight response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #8
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fight or flight

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    If you open the attachment to this post, you'll find dozens of examples taken from Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA)

    It's hard to copy the results and put them in a post as they come in a table, so I saved them down as an html page.
    Dear Tdol,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I clicked on the given link and was able to obtain example sentences of the phrase/word searched. However, I couldn't locate the icon for the meaning/defination of the word searched. Kindly advise.

    Tks / ju

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Flight Charges Reimbursement
    By rmsh16 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2008, 09:56
  2. Tyson fight or no
    By Offroad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-May-2008, 04:04
  3. question about flight
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2007, 00:17
  4. Corporate Flight Attendant
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-May-2007, 22:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •