fish9999 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Erasmus cover letter - I'd like someone to check it

Hello,
    I am applying for the Erasmus programme, so I have to write a cover letter in English, and I never did that before. I would be glad if someone could check it and tell me how to improve it, although it seems to me that it is globally correct.
    This is my cover letter:

I am writing to apply for the Erasmus programme for the 2009-2010 educational year. I am currently studying English in the Université de Caen's school of Arts. I am in my fourth semester and I have got the three first semesters. I am looking forward completing my degree in an English university. I would appreciate spending the next year in the university of Birmingham but I remain open to studying in another university.

The university of Birmingham seems to offer an excellent study environment in a pleasant medium-sized town. The location of Birmingham allows a great access to the rest of the country, which is important to me, as this year would be an unique opportunity to visit and enjoy the historical and cultural wealth of the United Kingdom. I have been interested in English society for many years. I have been travelling to England eight times in the past six years, often for a week and on my own. The experience I got from these trips strengthens my motivation to live and study in this country.

I set my hopes in this year abroad on improving my written and spoken English, expanding my social circle and opening up new horizons in my professional life. As I am determined to keep studying after getting my bachelor's degree, I think that my application for the Erasmus programme is fully integrated in my professional plan and academic background. In order to practice a profession related to translation, I am going to choose the «*parcours langue*» as the specialization of my master. The experience I could gain during this year in England would be a valuable tool for the future, taking into account that a good knowledge of the British society is necessary to translate works from this country, as well as the language.

Moreover, I deeply believe that living abroad is a major step in the studies of someone learning a language. Not only does it brings knowledge in various academic disciplines, but it also speeds up the necessary need to become independent in daily life. Consequently, this prospect of personal development is one more motivation among the numerous others that drive me to write this application letter.

Thank you for your attention.
    Yours faithfully.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Erasmus cover letter - I'd like someone to check it

I am pleased to write to you to apply for the Erasmus programme for the 2009-2010 academic year. I am currently studying English at the Université de Caen's Faculty of Arts. I am just finishing my second year and I am looking forward completing my degree at an English university. I would very much appreciate being able to spend a year at the university of Birmingham, but of course I remain open to studying at another university.

The University of Birmingham seems to offer an excellent study environment in a pleasant medium-sized city. The central location of Birmingham allows good access to the rest of the country, which is important to me, as this year would be an unique opportunity to visit and enjoy the historical and cultural wealth of the United Kingdom. I have been interested in English society for many years. I come to England eight times in the past six years, often for a week or more, on my own. The experience I had from these trips strengthens my motivation to live and study in this country.

I set my hopes for this year abroad upon improving my written and spoken English, expanding my social circle and opening up new horizons in my professional life. As I am determined to keep studying after getting my bachelor's degree, I think that my application for the Erasmus programme is fully integrated in my professional plan and academic background. In order to practice a profession related to translation, I am going to choose the Language option as the specialization of my masters. The experience I could gain during this year in England would be a valuable tool for the future, taking into account that a good knowledge of the British society is necessary to translate works from this country, as well as the language.

Finally, I deeply believe that living abroad is a crucial step in the study of a language. Not only does it brings knowledge in various academic disciplines, but it also speeds up the necessary need to become independent in daily life. Consequently, this prospect of personal development is one more motivation among the numerous others that drive me to write this application letter.

I wish to thank you in advance for your consideration.

Yours faithfully,
    Peppi Le Piue

fish9999 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much! I did not expect such an improvement of my cover letter.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Mais je vous en prie! But there's still a typo I missed in the last sentence of the second paragraph: I come should read I came or I went. I thought I had made it I came.