Post Thanks / Like

Default British-Australian differences in culture and communication problems

I've decided to write a paper on subject as in the title above. Maybe it won't sound exactly like the title but the general idea will be the same. So, I will have few questions to all of the Britons to help me conduct my research effectively.

1. Have you ever been to Australia?? (If you're answer is not, then you won't be able to help me)
    2. When you first came to Australia, what struck you the most? (I mean anything. Local's behaviour, taste of milk - anything that was unusual until then)
    3. Did you have any difficulties in understanding Australians? In terms of vocabulary, pronounciation, slang, proper names, or even metaphors?
    4. Why did you go to Australia? (It should've been the second question, but... whatever)
    5. What differences in cultures have you observed??
    6. Write anything that you think might help me, please!!!! :D:D
    7. Any difference in politeness rules??
    8. How were your lifestyles and approach to life different?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: British-Australian differences in culture and communication problems

Just out of curiosity, why only movement in that direction?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: British-Australian differences in culture and communication problems

You mean British-Australian direction? It was imposed on me to write an essay on quite narrow range of topics, one of them intercultural communication. I already know quite well the British culture and I am really interested in Australian one. This is why :D

Pleaseeeeeee, help me, I'm desperate. I've got a week to write that paper.

P.S. And what is more, I really am curious how intercultural barriers look like between English-speaking representatives.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not visited Australia. Time is tight, so have you tried any of the Brit Expat forums? Australia : British Expat Discussion Forum

At least you'll find plenty of such people in one place there.

Post Thanks / Like

You're an angel. Thank you very much. I simply didn't know where to look.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Australia much, but worked with several for three years in Hong Kong. I suppose you don't wish to hear my observations, judging from your highly selective criteria. Oh well. I'll stay mum.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to hear anything that might help me. And... do you think my criteria are wrong??

phorntita is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello ,dear
    I'm not a Briton but used to go to AUS once to take a teaching training couse at Melbourn for 4 months. On the whole I think of Australians as a Western/ Asian cos' their behaviours and the way they express themselves aren't like any Asians at all but tend to be like ordinary westerns.And may be because they were our teachers at that time that made them understand us who came mostly from Asia zone very well.They are all nice guys and if I want to find a foreign friend I think I won't hesitate to choose the one who comes from this country for sure. This is my attitude towards the Australians.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, it's I again.
    I'm in the middle of creating the paper and of course i'm doing it at eleventh hour. But, please, could proofread quickly? I'm so desperate that i dont think about mistakes :(

Why do Britons move to Australia? In most of the cases because they fall in love either with their other half who turns out to be Australian or with the country itself. Unless they want afford a house they could not back in the UK, but this is a different story. Either way, it involves the heart. In my opinion, it additionally involves sun and the climate. Not everybody is able to cope with rain and hail on daily basis. And on the other side of the coin there is a sun-drenched beach stretching out for miles, or kilometers actually, if looking through the perspective of Australian measurement system. And they can sit on the hot sand, look into the sun setting low above the horizon thinking to themselves “I’m not on holiday, I’m not here for just two weeks, I can do this every single weekend if I want.” No wonder that they fall for the Tierra Australis.
    No matter what the reasons to leave the United Kingdom might be, one will always encounter a number of misunderstandings causing various hilarious situations. The first absorbing example is describing woolens, linens and other domestic cloth products as "Manchester". The term derives from the fact that all bed clothing was imported to Australia from Manchester in England. This can result in genuine misinterpretation and a Briton being perplexed when asked to go back to Manchester to get their pillow slips. Many, many more lexical differences exist between the two nations. For example, in Australia women are called sheilas, they go swimming in bathers, later on sunbake on a beach and for dinner they don’t cook a chicken but a chook. Yet another classic illustration of communication barrier can be seen in the following situation. An Australian on the beach is shouting “some b*****d knocked off my sunnies, thongs and drank my beer while I was swimming.” What a British person might think when he or she heard such words? Following the reasoning of a sane person, someone must have stolen the other person’s knickers and sunglasses. But not in Australia, a country which lays upside down on the globe. Here everything must be the other way round as thongs to an Australian are a pair of shoes and a thong to a British person are a pair of women's knickers. Thus a group of sheilas wearing black rubber thongs may not be as exciting as one had hoped.

Another aspect that constitutes the barrier to communication between the Australians and the British is the register. Australians are less formal whether in the everyday or less casual situations. They quickly get on to first name basis and refrain from using titles such as Mr, Mrs etc. Moreover, in Australia there is a wide acceptance of bad language. There are no controls of foul language on radio or TV. Many British people can hardly accept such behavior as their politeness rules firmly state that bad words should be omitted when possible. Not seldom do they hear such auditions when driving their children to school, but the only thing they can do is to grit their teeth and keep on driving. It is hard to get used to the customs established in a foreign country inhabited at the time, but being a guest in the other country binds.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

To me the biggest difference (though there are far more similarities) is that Aussies are egalitarian, the way the French would like to be, and think everyone deserves a "fair shake".