Re: hello

We'll be onto 7-up jokes in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    lol, are they?

FRC
    God knows...
    I can handle that one all right as it is a pretty common question but it kills me when someone asks me (wrong gender): "Soooo...how is it hanging?"

OK. What's hanging where? What am I supposed to say? Long and loose and full of juice?

I rest my case...
    Last edited by Marylin; 21-Dec-2004 at 05:29.

sweron Guest

LOL...

Well, unless they are very secure, that should distract almost anyone (male) from asking that question!

Good answer!

On a slightly more serious note, do you get this kind of inappropriate, gender based question often? Is it actually inappropriate, or just sexist? Or, is my view of the question sexist?

Why shouldn't you reply in exactly the same way a male would to this 'question'? Testicles, vulvas... morally equal in every way, but socially quite different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweron
    LOL...

Well, unless they are very secure, that should distract almost anyone (male) from asking that question!

Good answer!

On a slightly more serious note, do you get this kind of inappropriate, gender based question often?

Not too often...thank God. Last time I heard that one, it came from a teenage kid with baggy pants,a baseball hat on backwards and a face painfully pierced all over the place. I assume most of the kids need to sort themselves out (mentally and in terms of their anatomy) sooner or later. Where I work, nothing surprises me anymore.

Is it actually inappropriate, or just sexist? Or, is my view of the question sexist?
    Why shouldn't you reply in exactly the same way a male would to this 'question'? Testicles, vulvas... morally equal in every way, but socially quite different.
    Good point. I think it is sexist. Big time.

To make matters worse, notice that there are plenty of man-to-woman greetings that some might consider sexist as well.

What's cooking?...what can be possibly more sexist than telling you directly where you belong. And having said that, where do you find the male?....on the couch with the remote control watching NFL.
    Don't like it.

OK. Le'ts take it a step further:

What's shaking? as in "C'mon shake your money makers" perhaps?...a little ambiguity there but most women would know which part of their body shakes the best. How sexist is that???

1920's phrase (Irish) How are you blowing? I think I will leave that one alone. Definitely don't like that one.

How are doing works best for me. Clean, safe, no innuendos.

Post Thanks / Like

Sexist is such a general term. Make fun if both sides! I have no problem riding a bike and asking for change for the powder room (nowadays from my respectable half) or offering help with a flat tire. Use the secretary's desk and answer the question "I am here to see The Man" with "You just did". FYI - Down our neck of the woods "how many" does not refer to the female of the own species but rather to the number of deer tags used during the current season.

"How is it going" - just lower your sight, flutter and comment - "apparently with the economy".

This has been one of those days! How will it end?
    You are right. Common courtesy and good manners are not what they used to be. Let's try our best to keep them and be it for our own enjoyment. As usual - it has been a pleasure. Yes, I do come in "serious" most of the time.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd never thought of 'what's cooking' as sexist- I thought it could be used to either gender without reference to the kitchen. ;-(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd never thought of 'what's cooking' as sexist- I thought it could be used to either gender without reference to the kitchen. ;-(
    Of course, it can be used by either gender...it's all tongue 'n cheek, Tdol...don't read too much into it. If I ask you "what's up?" I don't mean leterally what's up... do I? If I do, it's not gonna stand up in court...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast