Post Thanks / Like

Default Alot of questions:-(

Hi everybody,
    I would like someone to correct these sentences, please!
    These sentences are from my research about sacred kingship.

1. This changing in the systems brought the notion to a critical situation. The teacher underlined this and asked me to rephrase it.

2. To hold the responsibilities that must be held by the King over his country and people. What is wrong with "over"?

3. He suffered also of painful shyness... and of lung cancer. Should it be a instead of of?

4. King George VI was sick since his childhood. My teacher said that the tense doesn't go with "since". What should I use instead?

5. He keeps asking for help to be taken care of when he gets... What is wrong with this one?

6. To take care of his own self and family someone would question and doubt. I found a big question mark in here, is it the tense?

7. The prime ministers could of showing an obvious dominating power over the King. Should I change of showing to show?

8. The disrespect shown toward the King was not allowed to be toward the Sacred Kings. How should I rephrase this one?

9. The image of the king as "the good shepherd." whose function was to protect his people became a negative one when taking a look at what king George has involved Britain into.

10. He was a reluctant person in a time where it must not be wasted in hesitation, but in taking advantage of the position he was in. Syntax!

11. ... that would be much more helpful in pointing out the citizens' reactions. The teacher asked me to use more than..? What should I do?

Thanks alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alot of questions:-(

1. This changing in the systems brought the notion to a critical situation. The teacher underlined this and asked me to rephrase it.
    It means, a change in the system carried an abstract thing, an idea, to a location called 'a critical situation'.

2. To hold the responsibilities that must be held by the King over his country and people. What is wrong with "over"?
    The King holds responsibilities over his country and people.

3. He suffered also of painful shyness... and of lung cancer. Should it be a instead of of?
    He also suffered from. . .

4. King George VI was sick since his childhood. My teacher said that the tense doesn't go with "since". What should I use instead?
    . . .had been. . . since

5. He keeps asking for help to be taken care of when he gets... What is wrong with this one?
    help is being taken care of Try, . . . for someone to help take care of. . .

6. To take care of his own self and family someone would question and doubt. I found a big question mark in here, is it the tense?
    Meaning is the problem. What does 'someone would question and doubt' mean, and what are they questioning and doubting, and who is the subject of 'to take care of his own self and family?

7. The prime ministers could of showing an obvious dominating power over the King. Should I change of showing to show?
    Yes. Also, take out 'of'.

8. The disrespect shown toward the King was not allowed to be toward the Sacred Kings. How should I rephrase this one?
    Take out 'to be'.

9. The image of the king as "the good shepherd" whose function was to protect his people became a negative one when taking a look at what king George has involved Britain into.
    'became a negative one' is OK. It's the second part, 'when taking a look' that is awkward.

10. He was a reluctant person in a time when it must not be wasted in hesitation, but in taking advantage of the position he was in. Syntax!
    a) What is 'it'? That is what 'must not be wasted'?
    b) not be wasted. . ., but be_____ (past participle)

11. ... that would be much more helpful in pointing out the citizens' reactions. The teacher asked me to use more than..? What should I do?
    that would be more than helpful. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alot of questions:-(

It means, a change in the system carried an abstract thing, an idea, to a location called 'a critical situation'.

I have written it to mean that it caused to put the idea in a critical situation where people stop beleiving in in any more

The King holds responsibilities over his country and people.

What does this means? I was asking about what prepostition to use with the sentence I used. Is it over?

help is being taken care of Try, . . . for someone to help take care of. . .

Ok

Meaning is the problem. What does 'someone would question and doubt' mean, and what are they questioning and doubting, and who is the subject of 'to take care of his own self and family?

I meant that anyone will know for sure that a sick person can do his work alone without any trouples. I was trying to give an example of the real life as we use to ask people to help us to open for example a door if we enjored our hands. However, people with serious sickness like broken legs or mental problems need someone to watch them all the time. The independency of these people is what someone would think about before letting to live alone.
    I hope I am much more clearer this time.

'became a negative one' is OK. It's the second part, 'when taking a look' that is awkward.

Can I say if we will take a look instead?

a) What is 'it'? That is what 'must not be wasted'?
    b) not be wasted. . ., but be_____ (past participle)

that would be more than helpful. . .

Thanks a lot....
    Last edited by Latoof; 27-Dec-2004 at 11:55.