1. Unregistered

Wink Teachers' body gestures as an interaction.

Hello, Everyone!

I'm working on my action research project, and I was wondering if you could share your

thoughts on this topic.

Do you think teachers' body gestures as an interaction plays a crucial role in ESL/EFL

classroom?

If so, why do you think so? Do you have any interesting experience what want to share?

Please reply your thoughts!

Thanks in advance..

-Alice in Cali

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teachers' body gestures as an interaction.

I think they are important, particularly in younger children. I'd google the "AIM Language Learning" program in Vancouver.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

• Post Thanks / Like

You might also find useful this ICALwiki article on Total Physical Response

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Body language is as important in the classroom as it is outside; it's just that we can focus on it more in a classroom situation. Most non-verbal communication is beyond our control (for most of us anyway) but a teacher can pay attention to gesture, facial expression and tone of voice to reduce barriers and to enhance receptiveness.
    Like with many aspects of teaching, 'body language' is something that seems to picked up on by some teachers and taken to embarassing lengths. I've witnessed enthusiastic but little-talented teachers wave their arms around, convinced that this gesturing was both engaging (often alienating) and helpful (often totally confusing). The thing is, there is this strand that insists that adults learn languages in the same way that infants do and the result is that adults often get treated like children. A bit of fun and games is necessary, and strategies that appeal to different senses and 'intelligences' can only be of benefit but things should be kept in perspective.
    Teachers can learn to 'look interested', which often invloves very little movement. Film yourself in 'interested listener' poses. Audio record 'interested interlocutor' voice.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Teachers can learn to 'look interested', which often invloves very little movement. Film yourself in 'interested listener' poses. Audio record 'interested interlocutor' voice.
    Interesting concept. Could you expand upon this any more? Any online resources for this?

• Post Thanks / Like

As a student studying to become a teacher of English as a second language, I agree with you all, body gesture is very important for the teachers. I think that every teacher should be interacting with his/her students using more than language. Especially for a teacher of English, I think that body gestures are linked with what the teacher says. Many students do not understand what the teachers are saying in a second language classroom and this is why gestures are important. Of course, as the students become better in English, the less the teacher has to use body gestures and rely on it to be understood.