Thread: A restaurant

Post Thanks / Like

Default A restaurant

Please could you check the following text and tell me if there are mistakes?
    Thank you very much in advance!

Novella

This restaurant of the Rivelli family is beautifully sited among the rocks. The ambiance is very cosy. It is one of the soundest landmarks of the traditional cuisine from the Matera area. The wide rooms spring in the characteristic tuff caves which have made this city renowned all over the world. They have been restored and furnished with a simple taste, respecting the natural colours of this place. The restaurant is managed by the family and it is reassuring also thanks to the fact that the clients can glance at the kitchen from a large window. Here there are only dishes of the territory which are the result of the combination between products from the Apulia and Lucania countryside. The starter includes broad beans and chicory, potatoes and “cruschi” peppers, vegetable pies, pulse soups and the inevitable delicious local salamis and cheese. All the kinds of pasta are fresh and are seasoned with strong sauces and condiments in the traditional peasant style: you will find “cavatelli” (here they are very long, almost like “fusilli”) with fresh sausage and mushrooms, “capunti” (small gnocchi) with chickling purée, “bucatini” with cauliflower and cheese, “orecchiette” and calzones stuffed with sweet ricotta and seasoned with a tomato “ragù” sauce prepared with mixed meat. Regarding the main dishes there is mixed grilled meat which always includes lamb. There is an exceptional IGP[1] bread from Matera and fried potatoes (they aren’t frozen). The service is experienced. The desserts are homemade and traditional. The wine-list includes good wines from the region sold at fair prices. You will roughly spend 35 Euros.

[1] (IGP means “Indicazione Geografica Tipica” which stands for Protected Geographical Indication and this term is used to describe those goods for which the relationship between the geographical area and production standards may be limited to just one phase of the production process marks)

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Novella View Post
    Please could you check the following text and tell me if there are mistakes?
    Thank you very much in advance!

Novella

This restaurant of the Rivelli family is beautifully situated among the rocks. The ambience is very cosy. It is noted for providing traditional cuisine from the Matera area. The wide rooms spring in the characteristic tufa caves which have made this city renowned all over the world. They have been restored and furnished with a simple taste, respecting the natural colours of this place. The restaurant is managed by the family and it is reassuring also thanks to the fact that the clients can glance at the kitchen from a large window. Here there are only dishes of the region, which are the result of the combination between products from the Apulian and Lucanian countryside. Starters includes broad beans and chicory, potatoes and “cruschi” peppers, vegetable pies, pulse soups and the inevitable delicious local salamis and cheese. All the pasta is made freshly and seasoned with strong sauces and condiments in the traditional peasant style: you will find “cavatelli” (here they are very long, almost like “fusilli”) with fresh sausage and mushrooms; “capunti” (small gnocchi) with [??chicken OR chickpea??] purée; “bucatini” with cauliflower and cheese; “orecchiette” and calzones stuffed with sweet ricotta and seasoned with a tomato “ragù” sauce prepared with mixed meat. Regarding the main dishes there is a mixed grill which always includes lamb. There is an exceptional IGP[1] bread from Matera and fried potatoes (they aren’t frozen). The service is experienced. The desserts are homemade and traditional. The wine-list includes good wines from the region sold at fair prices. You will roughly spend 35 Euros.

[1] (IGP means “Indicazione Geografica Tipica” which stands for Protected Geographical Indication and this term is used to describe those goods for which the relationship between the geographical area and production standards may be limited to just one phase of the production process marks)

Sounds a great restaurant - I want to go there!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Thank you for your help!

In Italian we say: "cicerchie", they are something like beans, I found the translation "chickling" in the dictionary...doesn't it exist???

A question: can I use the word "starter" as singular? If I write "starters" should I use "include" as it is plural?

Thank you very much!

Novella

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't trace "chickling" in either English or Italian. The Italian word is for a form of chickpea only now found in a small number of regions. http://www.e-rcps.com/pasta/rcp/soup/chickpea.shtml

A starter/our starters - if you use the plural form, then yes, "include" will be correct.

Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It does sound like a wonderful restaurant. I think it would be easier to read and comprehend if you make it into three paragraphs.

I would also change the wording of the potatoes (not frozen) to something like "delicious, freshly made fried potatoes" or "fried potatoes made fresh from local produce". If you mention that the potatoes are not frozen, it might give people the idea that perhaps other things are.

-# 1 about the physical location and building
    -# 2 about the food,
    -# 3 the wine list and the cost.

I am not a teacher.
    Last edited by Searching for language; 31-Mar-2009 at 22:22. Reason: spelling