• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

"all brawn and no brains, take you down a notch

1) Does "all brawn and no brains" mean one who's only been strong physically but never use the brain to think or even silly?

2) Is the sentence alright ,"Tom is all brawn and no brains in handling situation"?

3) Tim and John are going to have a fight. Tim said, "I'm gonna take you down a notch."

What does it mean of "take you down a notch"?

Thanks / ju

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "all brawn and no brains, take you down a notch

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    1) Does "all brawn and no brains" mean one who's only been strong physically but never use the brain to think or even silly?

2) Is the sentence alright ,"Tom is all brawn and no brains in handling situation"?

3) Tim and John are going to have a fight. Tim said, "I'm gonna take you down a notch."

Thanks / ju
    All brawn and no brains is used in an absolute sense. Thus, your sentence is not right.

take sy down a notch means something similar to this:
    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post

Thanks / ju
    1) Yes, someone who is "all brawn and no brains" is a person who is physically strong but mentally slow.

2) "Tom is all brawn and no brains in handling the situation."

3) To "take someone down a notch" is to lower someone's high opinion of themselves.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rsb91; 31-Mar-2009 at 09:49.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsb91 View Post
    1) Yes, someone who is "all brawn and no brains" is a person who is physically strong but mentally slow.

This doesn't necessarily mean that a person is mentally slow. To use this expression when referring to a mentally slow person is insulting, and certainly should not be used. There are many other similarly insulting expressions.

A person who is "all brawn and no brains" is more likely to be someone who takes a physical approach to things, rather than thinking something through clearly.

If I were to carry something heavy up a very long staircase, and didn't see that there was an elevator right beside the staircase, I could also say, "That was all brawn and no brain today!"

I am not a teacher.