Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    joham is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default to build/built/to be built

    --It is reported there will be another museum ________ in our city.
    A. to be built B. to build C. built

    The given answer to this test item is B.
    But I think we should choose C because 'another museum will be built in our city'. Am I right? And does the sentence in the item sound natural to you native speakers?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to build/built/to be built

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    --It is reported there will be another museum ________ in our city.
    A. to be built B. to build C. built

    The given answer to this test item is B.
    But I think we should choose C because 'another museum will be built in our city'. Am I right? And does the sentence in the item sound natural to you native speakers?

    Thank you in advance.
    Only C works

  3. #3
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: to build/built/to be built

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Only C works
    I beg to differ. The sentence says: [...] there will be another museum [...], and not another museum will be. Hence the correct answer is B. However, C works fine as well, but means a bit different thing.

  4. #4
    joham is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to build/built/to be built

    Thank you, svartnic and engee30.

    Then which on earth should I choose?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me further with this test item please. Thank you in advance.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to build/built/to be built

    the ans is -B

  6. #6
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: to build/built/to be built

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Thank you, svartnic and engee30.

    Then which on earth should I choose?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me further with this test item please. Thank you in advance.
    Before any native speaker joins in the discussion, have a look at the following sentences:
    There is some work to do. (part of or the whole work hasn't been done yet)
    There is some work done already. (part of or the whole work has already been done)


  7. #7
    joham is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to build/built/to be built

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Before any native speaker joins in the discussion, have a look at the following sentences:
    There is some work to do. (part of or the whole work hasn't been done yet)
    There is some work done already. (part of or the whole work has already been done)

    Thanks, engee30. But I'm afraid you've mixed 'there will be' with 'there is'. In the 'there is' pattern, 'to do' carries a future meaning, which is necessary for the sentence/future time. But with 'there will be' pattern, the future meaning in the phrases of 'to build/to be built' would be unnecessary. But I'm not sure about it.

    Let's wait for native speakers to give a decided opinion.

  8. #8
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: to build/built/to be built

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Thanks, engee30. But I'm afraid you've mixed 'there will be' with 'there is'. In the 'there is' pattern, 'to do' carries a future meaning, which is necessary for the sentence/future time. But with 'there will be' pattern, the future meaning in the phrases of 'to build/to be built' would be unnecessary. But I'm not sure about it.

    Let's wait for native speakers to give a decided opinion.
    Well, if you find it difficult to turn the present form of the verb to be into a future form, try these:
    There will be some work to do (tomorrow/next week/in the near future etc; we're talking about work that is to be done some time in the future; talking about the intention of doing work)
    There will be some work done (tomorrow/next week/in the near future etc; we're talking about the completion of work)

  9. #9
    joham is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to build/built/to be built

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Well, if you find it difficult to turn the present form of the verb to be into a future form, try these:
    There will be some work to do (tomorrow/next week/in the near future etc; we're talking about work that is to be done some time in the future; talking about the intention of doing work)
    There will be some work done (tomorrow/next week/in the near future etc; we're talking about the completion of work)
    There will be some work to do tomorrow. This sentence sounds to me like "There will be some work that we must/have to do tomorrow." So I feel 'to build' in my post may mean 'that we must/have to build' and therefore it wouldn't fit into the sentence 'It is reported that there will be another museum _______ in our city.'

    I'm still confused about it. I'm hoping native speakers can help me. Thanks a lot.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to build/built/to be built

    --It is reported there will be another museum ________ in our city.
    A. to be built B. to build C. built

    But I think we should choose C because 'another museum will be built in our city'. Am I right?


    YES.
    In order to use 'to build':

    It is reported there will be another museum to build in our city before we can even hope to compete for tourism in the county.
    The sentence, and use of 'to build', won't work without some additional 'before/if' type clause.
    (I don't particularly like the sentence, but it's one construction.)
    Last edited by David L.; 01-Apr-2009 at 16:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. badly built
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2008, 14:10
  2. small built, a little short of pretty
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2008, 22:18
  3. built around
    By ian2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2007, 05:28
  4. How to built up my vocabulary?
    By JessieLee in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2004, 07:49
  5. Chart Depiction
    By eric2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 17:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk