bman25 Guest

Default What's the real difference between "superfluous" and "redundant"?

Hi,

I had a little discussion with my father today on the use of the words "redundant" and "superfluous". Are they interchangeable? What's the main difference between them? Are there stylistic differences? Is superfluous more "British" and redundant more "American"?

Can you say: "I was just about to email you about my frustrating day at work, but since we just spoke on the phone, that would be rather redundant."? Or would "superfluous" be better here?

Sebastian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the real difference between "superfluous" and "redundant"?

Quote Originally Posted by bman25
    Hi,

I had a little discussion with my father today on the use of the words "redundant" and "superfluous". Are they interchangeable? What's the main difference between them? Are there stylistic differences? Is superfluous more "British" and redundant more "American"?

Can you say: "I was just about to email you about my frustrating day at work, but since we just spoke on the phone, that would be rather redundant."? Or would "superfluous" be better here?

Sebastian
    Both express similar meanings: needless, useless, not needed, not useful, but there is a difference. Try looking at it this way, super- of superfluous means, over and above the flow of meaning (i.e., useless), whereas re- of redundant means, same information again (i.e., needless).