• Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An article kindly check...

Some says 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' is just a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this assumption, Had it would be a marketing gimmick, he would has postponed the launch of the car because of the recession which has grabbed the global economic. At the launch Mr Ratan Tata said, 'Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered the millions dream to own a car.

I just improved on the above article which is as follows

Some says, 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' is a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this argument. Had it would be a marketing gimmick, he would had postponed the launch of the car because of the recession, which have grabbed the global economic. At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered the dream of millions to own a car.

Kindly let me know if my grammar is correct
    Last edited by new2grammar; 05-Apr-2009 at 08:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: An article kindly check...

Have another look at the parts in bold.

Some says, 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' is a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this argument. Had it would be a marketing gimmick, he would had postponed the launch of the car because of the recession, which have grabbed the global economic. At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered the dream of millions to own a car.

new2grammar is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Have another look at the parts in bold.

Some say, 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' is a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this argument. Had it been a marketing gimmick, he would have postponed the launch of the car because of the recession, which had grabbed the global economic. At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'A Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered the dream of million to own a car.

Hope i am right this time and thanks David this is perfect way to improve you just highlight whereever i commit mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Some say, 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' is a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this argument. Had it been a marketing gimmick, he would have postponed the launch of the car because of the recession, which had grabbed the global economic. At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'A Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered the dream of million to own a car.

Some say, 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' : no need to place the name of the car in quotes e.g. I have a Porsche 100 GTX. - no quotes. Therefore, no need for the comma after 'say'...but we do need the definite article before the name of the car. So -

Some say the Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car is a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this argument. Had it been a marketing gimmick, he would have postponed the launch of the car because of the recession,

which had grabbed: Yes - the recession started prior to the launch, and Past Perfect tense places this prior to the launch. However, if the recession were now over (that is, the recession is fully in the past, over, done) then there is no need NOT to launch the car: people will have jobs and can buy a car again. Actually, it is that the recession is still so acute that it means people are still not buying cars. Hence, for both reasons, better to use the Present Perfect, which indicates that the recession is still having an effect right NOW.

the global economic: 'economic' is the adjective. You need the noun, 'economy'

which has grabbed the global economy.

At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'A Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered : 'he truly...' needs a conjunction.

the dream of million to own a car.: 'to own a car' needs to be set off in some way:

At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'A Promise is a Promise', and he truly delivered the dream of millions - to own a car.
    Last edited by David L.; 06-Apr-2009 at 01:26.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Some say, 'Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car' : no need to place the name of the car in quotes e.g. I have a Porsche 100 GTX. - no quotes. Therefore, no need for the comma after 'say'...but we do need the definite article before the name of the car. So -

Some say the Tata Nano - Rs. 1 Lakh car is a marketing gimmick. I totally disagree with this argument. Had it been a marketing gimmick, he would have postponed the launch of the car because of the recession,

which had grabbed: Yes - the recession started prior to the launch, and Past Perfect tense places this prior to the launch. However, if the recession were now over (that is, the recession is fully in the past, over, done) then there is no need NOT to launch the car: people will have jobs and can buy a car again. Actually, it is that the recession is still so acute that it means people are still not buying cars. Hence, for both reasons, better to use the Present Perfect, which indicates that the recession is still having an effect right NOW.

the global economic: 'economic' is the adjective. You need the noun, 'economy'

which has grabbed the global economy.

At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'A Promise is a Promise', he truly delivered : 'he truly...' needs a conjunction.

the dream of million to own a car.: 'to own a car' needs to be set off in some way:

At the launch, Mr Ratan Tata said, 'A Promise is a Promise', and he truly delivered the dream of millions - to own a car.
    Thanks a lot for your valauble time to explain me my mistakes in a detail, it would really help me lot.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your valauble time to explain me my mistakes in a detail, it would really help me lot.....

Thanks a lot for your valuable time, explaining my mistakes in a detail. It would really help me lot if you were a lot less long-winded next time.

Thanks a lot for your valuable time, explaining my mistakes in a detail. It would really help me lot if a few others would also give their opinions next time.

I don't think that's what you meant! Check your use of 'would' in the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your valuable time, explaining my mistakes in a detail. It would really help me lot if you were a lot less long-winded next time.

Thanks a lot for your valuable time, explaining my mistakes in a detail. It would really help me lot if a few others would also give their opinions next time.

I don't think that's what you meant! Check your use of 'would' in the sentence.
    it's better i do not say anything ecewpt Thank You