Post Thanks / Like

Constistutional Monarchs.

Hi everyone,
    I would like you to give me some information about constitutional monarchs. It is urgent, please! I checked the internet, but not all the websites were useful. I would like to know specificly about the rule of kings or queens in governing a constitutional monarchs.
    Thanks alot.

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constistutional Monarchs.

There seems to be a lot more information available by googling 'constitutional monarchy' than any we will be able to offer, Latoof. For instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy
    http://www.freearchive.info/co/const...-monarchy.html
    http://www.overheid.nl/guest/aboutgo...ionalmonarchy/

and then check the individual countries for their constitution.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot. I went also to the library in the University and I check the Encyclopedia Brittanica and I found alot of information in there, which seems or actually will be helpful.

The problem now is with the research itself. I tried to prove that King George VI was not a good match to the idea of Sacred Kingship which existed a very long time ago. My teacher was happy to read my research, but then he said that the idea is an old one and George existed in the 20th Century so it will be better if I will apply a new idea to him. He suggested the Constitional Monarchy. What I have done so far in my research is that I looked up the sacred Kings characteristics, which was that the king must be perfectly healthy, the one who makes decissions, and he has to bring peace and welfare to his country. I found that King George was sick as he suffered of lung canser and he suffered of stummer. During his reign, the prime ministers or the parliament are the one who makes the decissions and the King power was limited especially after the Magna Carta. Finally, during his reign the British Empire was lost.
    The problem is that I don't know how to join the Sacred Kingship with the Constitional Monarchy idea. I asked him if I can use it instead of the Scared Kingship, but he said that I could not throw a whole semester work away. I suggested that I will just work with the Sacred Kingship, but he said that I am not going to ignore his suggestion completely. What am I going to do? Can you give me some suggestions?
    Thanks alot.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

The main idea would be to consider how monarchs acted under the Divine Right of Kings (I think that is the standard phrase that you are referring to when you say 'the sacred kingship') and compare that to how modern constitutional monarchs act. How do their rights, privileges and duties differ as absolute monarchs and as constitutional monarchs?

Choose a monarch that went through this change in political structure her/himself, and examine how her/his rights, duties and image changed. Emperor Hirohito of Japan is one good example.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you suggesting that I compare how Japan Emperor kept the holinees of the kings to the status king George find of the king's divinity?

I am afraid I will not have enough time to do these all, however, I am going to try to do my best. Whish me good luck.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I was using Hirohito as an example of a monarch whose reign you could compare before and after the constitutional monarchy was established. I know little about George VI.

Good luck again.