Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grammar Websites and Grammar Chats

Hi Everyone!

This is my 1st post on this website.
    It looks like a great resource and I look forward to frequenting it a great deal.

I''m a still fairly inexperienced ESL Teacher, and my biggest handicap is a weakness in Grammar.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a Grammar website which specifically tests people's knowledge of Grammar's Form.
    To clarify what I mean,
    I am a native English speaker from Canada.
    I use Grammar correctly, but I do so by instinct and familiarity with the language.
    I don't need fill-in-the-blank exercises for proper usage of the Present Progressive,
    what I need is a website which tests me on if I can describe and explain how the Present Progressive is used.

A website designed for Native English Speakers who need to become familiar with and adept with using appropriate Grammar Terminology.

====

Suggestion

Perhaps the website could have a list of Grammar websites and divide the websites into sections (for example : Websites for Non-Native Speakers and Websites for Native Speakers).

====

Chat

I was wondering if anyone would like to trade MSN addresses to do some "Grammar Chatting".

I have a fair grasp of Grammar at the moment, and I might be able to offer some help, but, for the most part, I would be the one asking questions.

====

Grammar Chatting

What I mean by this is just messaging each other sentences and analyzing the sentences' Grammar together.

Basically, "Quizzing" each other on Grammar.

I always find the back and forth of Quizzing extremely helpful to cement any kind of knowledge.

====

Suggestion

Maybe usingenglish.com could add a new Category for people to exhange ICQ's or Messenger Addresses who wanted to engage in "Grammar Chatting."

====

Well, that's my 1st post.
    I hope everyone's day is going well and blast me a reply if you have any comments. : )

David.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grammar Websites and Grammar Chats

what I need is a website which tests me on if I can describe and explain how the Present Progressive is used.

I'm not sure how that is going to work. 'to describe' the function of the Progresssive and why it would be used, and how it varies from Present tense, is qualitative, not like the website objective tests that let you choose an answer in some way.

You will have to do it with your students - why not 'tell us' and we'll comment.

....and welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grammar Websites and Grammar Chats

Hi David!

I actually am not teaching at the moment, so all this information is for my own personal benefit.

What I would like is a Grammar website which perhaps gives 4 different sentences and asks which one is using the Present Progressive.

Or, a website which perhaps gives 4 definitions for Phrasal Verbs and asks which one best describes what Phrasal Verbs are.

Or, a website which perhaps provides a paragraph and asks the user to go through a list of Parts of Speech and Parts of Sentence, highlighting examples of each as they exist in the paragraph.

Basically, a website which assumes that the user is a Native Speaker of English, and can use the language correctly by instinct, but needs to be quizzed and tested on the terminology and style of the language.

====

By the way David, are you interested in trading Messenger Handles to engage in what I call "Grammar Chatting"?

You would most likely be the one fielding most of the questions my friend.
    No problem if you are too busy.
    I'm in a bit of lull waiting for work to start in a few weeks.

Do you have any recommendations as to where I might be able to post my request on the forums?

Thanks for your help and the welcome. : )

David.