• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

lifting barriers

The following sentences are discussing how to be creative , but I cannot understand the meaning exactly. Can you help me?( especially the underlined parts)

1. Lifting barriers into place also play a major part in helping the mind to control ideas rather than letting them collide at random.2. Parameters act as containers for ideas, and thus help the mind to fix on them.

3. Once the new idea has been formed, it needs to be contained or it will fly away, so fleeting is its passage.

4. When the mind has brought the idea to fruition by thinking it through to its final conclusion, the parameters can be brought down and the idea allowed to float off and come in contact with other ideas.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: lifting barriers

Please keep in mind that I'm not a teacher and I've had to make some assumptions about the context of these sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    The following sentences are discussing how to be creative , but I cannot understand the meaning exactly. Can you help me?( especially the underlined parts)

1. Lifting barriers into place also plays a major part in helping the mind to control ideas rather than letting them collide at random.
    In this context, I would say it means implementing some sort of system (probably described somewhere in the text this was taken from) to focus on one idea at a time. It's hard to tell exactly given the limited amount of information here.

2. Parameters act as containers for ideas, and thus help the mind to fix on them.
    "Parameters" is another word for "barriers" in the previous sentence. This sentence is basically reinforcing the message in the previous sentence.

3. Once the new idea has been formed, it needs to be contained or it will fly away, so fleeting is its passage.
    This means you can lose the idea quickly if a system isn't used to examine the idea thoroughly, on its own, without other ideas affecting it.

4. When the mind has brought the idea to fruition by thinking it through to its final conclusion, the parameters can be brought down and the idea allowed to float off and come in contact with other ideas.
    When the idea is fully thought out, it can be joined with other ideas to possibly create even more solutions or ideas.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replay. However, I still have one question. Can you plese clarify the second parts ... fixed on them more in detail?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun
    Can you plese clarify the second parts ... fixed on them more in detail?
    2. Parameters act as containers for ideas, and thus help the mind to fix on them.

You can concentrate on an idea better if you use these "parameters".

I assume the parameters that are referred to in this sentence encompass a system for organizing and developing creative ideas?

• Post Thanks / Like

Parameters were defined earlier in the Reading Passage for Comprehension:
    The groundwork for keeping creative ability in check begins at school. School, later university and then work, teach us to regulate our lives, imposing a continuous process of restrictions which is increasing exponentially with the advancement of technology... creative ability...is trapped in the prison that we have erected. Yet...setting off on the creative path is also partly about using rules and regulations. Such limitations are needed so that once they are learnt, they can be broken.

The truly creative mind...can be free when it wants, and one that recognises that rules and regulations are parameters, or barriers, to be raised and dropped again at will.

Lifting barriers into place also play a major part in helping the mind to control ideas rather than letting them collide at random.2. Parameters act as containers for ideas, and thus help the mind to fix on them.ETC