been / gone
would please correct the following sentences? I have to use been or gone.
Could you please explain me, when I have to use "been" and when "gone"?
Thanks in advance.
1. Iíve gone to most countries in Europe, but Iíve never gone to Russia.
2. Is Annie in her bedroom? No. Sheís gone to work.
3. (Sign outside a shop) ďGone to lunch. Back soon.
4. Sorry Iím late. Iíve been stuck in a traffic jam for an hour!
5. You look very brown! Have you been on holiday?
6. Can I speak to Mr Thompson, please? Iím afraid heís just gone out of the office.
Re: been / gone
I'd change 1 to 'been'. As you are here at the time of talking, you'd be referring to going and returning. We use 'gone'when the person is still absent and 'been' when they have returned.