Thread: until/till

1. Unregistered

until/till

Dear Teachers
    I was wondering how you could differentiate between until and till and when you use either one. Please explain. Thank You : )

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: until/till

The meaning is precisely the same. Till, also spelt 'til, is informal, and should not be used in careful writing.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: until/till

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Dear Teachers
    I was wondering how you could differentiate between until and till and when you use either one. Please explain. Thank You : )
    I don't often see "till" in American texts. American English more often uses "until". I think "till" is more usual in British English. - my opinion

They have the same meaning.

In spoken American English "until" is often reduced to 'til. I would say it is debatable as to whether AE speakers are saying till or 'til - short for "until". I believe they are thinking "until" and saying 'til. Therefore, I would say they are using a reduction of "unitl".

Also, I would suggest not using 'till in formal writing. I would use "until".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=8&q=till
    Usage Note: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies. ·Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning “up to.” In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.
    Last edited by Steven D; 02-Jan-2005 at 17:17.