• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Xiaxia nong, Shanghai!

Hello! Could you please proofread or comment on this writing of mine at your convenience? I wrote it to practise my English.

You don't have to correct typos for me. I think I should do it on my own shelf or I would be too lazy, but I just wrote it in 30 minutes. I am going to work soon, so I don't have time to check it by myself now. I hope you could correct my grammar, or advice on my writing style. Thank you very much!

Xiaxia nong, Shanghai

I have been living in Shanghai for years. It is said native Shanghainese consider people from other areas in China are provincial, because Shanghai is the richest city in China, and fusion of tradition and Western bling as a journalist from the Telegraph commented in his article.

Before moving to Shanghai, I was a bit worried that Shanghainese might look down upon me. Though I grew up in a city, it is really small and cannot hold a candle to Shanghai. I might look corny, and Shanghai women might dress themselves like fashion models. But when I came to Shanghai, all my previous worry was not necessary.

In my eyes, most Shanghainese are friendly. When I told this to my Chinese friends, they were also surprised, and some of them even rolled their eyes upwards to me. But I didn't spin such a story about nowaday Shanghainese . The bias of Shanghainese against people from other parts of China might be true in the old days.

I don't have a good sense of direction. I often had to ask local people how I went to my destination. Most people warmly showed me the way. I remembered when I was in a bus one day in the late night, I asked that bus driver which No. bus I should take to my destination. To my surprise, several fellow passengers answered me in a voice. A couple who went off with me at the same stop enthusiastically showed me the direction, and told me hurry up or I might miss the last bus. Such a thing happened many times.

Yesterday, a doorman of our company forwarded me a letter. I said thank you -xaxia nong in Shanghai dialect to him when he was going to leave. A big surprising smile exploded on his face. "Wow, you can speak Shanghai dialect so fluently. bhla, bhla...." he was excited and poured out a string of Shanghai dialect to me. I felt a bit embarrassed, because I just can speak very very limited Shanghai dialect. Many Shanghainese have the similar reaction to me, when I say ' Xiaxia Nong' to them. They are so easy to be pleased.

Thank you, xiaxia nong, Shanghain folks and Shanghai.

P.S. Xiaxia means thank; nong refers to you in Shanghai dialect.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 24-Apr-2009 at 00:37.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Xiaxia nong, Shanghai!

I edited it quickly.

Xiaxia nong, Shanghai

I have been living in Shanghai for years. It is said native Shanghainese consider people from other areas in China provincial because Shanghai is the richest city in China, and as one journalist puts it, "a fusion of tradition and Western bling."

Before moving to Shanghai, I was a bit worried that Shanghainese might look down on me. I grew up in a city too, but it is really small and cannot hold a candle to Shanghai. I might look corny, and Shanghai women might dress themselves like fashion models, but when I got to Shanghai, I realized all my previous worrying was a waste of time.

In my eyes, most Shanghainese are friendly. When I told this to my Chinese friends, they were surprised and some even rolled their eyes at me. The bias Shanghainese had against people from other parts of China might have been true in the old days, but it's not like that today.

I don't have a good sense of direction, and so I often have to ask the locals how to get somewhere. Most warmly show me the way. I remembered being on a bus late at night and having to ask the driver which bus to transfer to. To my surprise, several fellow passengers answered in unison. A couple who got off at the same stop as me/I enthusiastically gave me directions and told me to hurry up or I would miss the last bus. Such things have happened many times.

Yesterday, a doorman at our company forwarded me a letter. I said, "Xaxia Nong" (Thank You) in Shanghainese as he left. A big surprising smile exploded on his face, "Wow! You can speak the Shanghai dialect so fluently", he said, and then poured out a string of Shanghainese to me. I felt a bit embarrassed because my Shanghainese is very limited. Many Shanghainese have a similar reaction to me when I say Xiaxia Nong to them. They are so easy to pleased.

Thank you, Xaxia Nong, to all Shanghainese and to Shanghai.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Soup,

Xiaxia nong, thank you very much for your help. I have to read carefully your corrections tomorrow. It's 2:11 am now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Xiaxia nong, Shanghai!

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello! Could you please proofread or comment on this writing of mine at your convenience? I wrote it to practise my English.

You don't have to correct typos for me. I think I should do it on my own shelf or I would be too lazy, but I just wrote it in 30 minutes. I am going to work soon, so I don't have time to check it by myself now. I hope you could correct my grammar, or advice on my writing style. Thank you very much!

Xiaxia nong, Shanghai

I have been living in Shanghai for years. It is said native Shanghainese consider people from other areas in China are provincial, because Shanghai is the richest city in China, and fusion of tradition and Western bling as a journalist from the Telegraph commented in his article.

Before moving to Shanghai, I was a bit worried that Shanghainese might look down upon me. Though I grew up in a city, it is really small and cannot hold a candle to Shanghai. I might look corny, and Shanghai women might dress themselves like fashion models. But when I came to Shanghai, all my previous worry was not necessary.

In my eyes, most Shanghainese are friendly. When I told this to my Chinese friends, they were also surprised, and some of them even rolled their eyes upwards to me. But I didn't spin such a story about nowaday Shanghainese . The bias of Shanghainese against people from other parts of China might be true in the old days.

I don't have a good sense of direction. I often had to ask local people how I went to my destination. Most people warmly showed me the way. I remembered when I was in a bus one day in the late night, I asked that bus driver which No. bus I should take to my destination. To my surprise, several fellow passengers answered me in a voice. A couple who went off with me at the same stop enthusiastically showed me the direction, and told me hurry up or I might miss the last bus. Such a thing happened many times.

Yesterday, a doorman of our company forwarded me a letter. I said thank you -xaxia nong in Shanghai dialect to him when he was going to leave. A big surprising smile exploded on his face. "Wow, you can speak Shanghai dialect so fluently. bhla, bhla...." he was excited and poured out a string of Shanghai dialect to me. I felt a bit embarrassed, because I just can speak very very limited Shanghai dialect. Many Shanghainese have the similar reaction to me, when I say ' Xiaxia Nong' to them. They are so easy to be pleased.

Thank you, xiaxia nong, Shanghain folks and Shanghai.

P.S. Xiaxia means thank; nong refers to you in Shanghai dialect.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a charming piece. In the last line, I don't think you need the 'Thank you' - people who've read that far will know what xiaxia nong means.

Sorry no time for more.

b

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear the daffodils, which is the correct spelling, Xaxia nong or Xiaxia nong.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think it's a charming piece. In the last line, I don't think you need the 'Thank you' - people who've read that far will know what xiaxia nong means.

Sorry no time for more.

b
    Hi BobK,

Xiaxia nong for your encouragement and suggestion.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 30-Apr-2009 at 22:20.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SUDHKAMP View Post
    Dear the daffodils, which is the correct spelling, Xaxia nong or Xiaxia nong.
    Hi SUDHKAMP,

I guess you referred to Xiaxia nong or xiaxia nong. There are not the difference between upper cases or lower cases in Chinese phonetic letters, which is unlike English. Generally I think we adopt all lower cases if we have to write in Chinese phonetic letters. Few people will write Chinese in Chinese phonetic letters once we learn how to write in characters.

I wrote 'Xiaxia nong' in upper case because it is the first word in this English title. Probably it would be better if I changed the order of the title- Shanghai, xiaxia nong.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 30-Apr-2009 at 22:23.

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    I edited it quickly.

Xiaxia nong, Shanghai

I have been living in Shanghai for years. It is said native Shanghainese consider people from other areas in China provincial because Shanghai is the richest city in China, and as one journalist puts it, "a fusion of tradition and Western bling."

Before moving to Shanghai, I was a bit worried that Shanghainese might look down on me. I grew up in a city too, but it is really small and cannot hold a candle to Shanghai. I might look corny, and Shanghai women might dress themselves like fashion models, but when I got to Shanghai, I realized all my previous worrying was a waste of time.

In my eyes, most Shanghainese are friendly. When I told this to my Chinese friends, they were surprised and some even rolled their eyes at me. The bias Shanghainese had against people from other parts of China might have been true in the old days, but it's not like that today.

I don't have a good sense of direction, and so I often have to ask the locals how to get somewhere. Most warmly show me the way. I remembered being on a bus late at night and having to ask the driver which bus to transfer to. To my surprise, several fellow passengers answered in unison. A couple who got off at the same stop as me/I enthusiastically gave me directions and told me to hurry up or I would miss the last bus. Such things have happened many times.

Yesterday, a doorman at our company forwarded me a letter. I said, "Xaxia Nong" (Thank You) in Shanghainese as he left. A big surprising smile exploded on his face, "Wow! You can speak the Shanghai dialect so fluently", he said, and then poured out a string of Shanghainese to me. I felt a bit embarrassed because my Shanghainese is very limited. Many Shanghainese have a similar reaction to me when I say Xiaxia Nong to them. They are so easy to pleased.

Thank you, Xaxia Nong, to all Shanghainese and to Shanghai.
    Thedaffodils, I was referring to your post, where you quote the incident about the Doorman forwarding you a letter. There you have spelt it Xaxia nong. And later in the subsequent post, Soup, the English teacher staying in China, has also spelt the term as Xaxia nong.
    That is why I have asked you the question, what is the correct spelling of the term, whether Xiaxia nong or Xaxia nong.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SUDHKAMP View Post
    Thedaffodils, I was referring to your post, where you quote the incident about the Doorman forwarding you a letter. There you have spelt it Xaxia nong. And later in the subsequent post, Soup, the English teacher staying in China, has also spelt the term as Xaxia nong.
    That is why I have asked you the question, what is the correct spelling of the term, whether Xiaxia nong or Xaxia nong.
    I guess it is a typo of hers. I say 'xiaxia nong'.