Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anybody enjoy writing about literature?

I'm having an online literature festival and I'd like people to write short essays on various authors. The choice of author is entirely up to each writer. Essays should be somewhere between eight hundred and two thousand five hundred words. The festival is a labour of love. So it's most likely that you'd be interested in making a contribution because: You need the practice in essay writing, you like taking part in things, you've an insatiable desire to write literary essays, or, and perhaps most likely of all, you've got an unbridled admiration for one particular author and you make the most of every opportunity to sing his or her praises. Whatever the truth is, we'd be pleased to read your essays. If you want to discuss what you'd like to write with us, that's fine too. Our website is at Litarena - Compiling an index of outstanding small press and no press books. You won't find any details about the festival on the site yet because it's not happening until later this year.

Many thanks. I look forward to reading from you.

Patrick

Carlhya is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Does anybody enjoy writing about literature?

Hello Patrick!
    I'm Cinthya and I've just finished studying English. I know a little about English literature, but I like writing. I would like to write for your festival. I would like you to give me suggestions about what to write, too. I may start with something simple, but I'm really interested in this subject. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anybody enjoy writing about literature?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlhya View Post
    Hello Patrick!
    I'm Cinthya and I've just finished studying English. I know a little about English literature, but I like writing. I would like to write for your festival. I would like you to give me suggestions about what to write, too. I may start with something simple, but I'm really interested in this subject. Thanks.
    Hi Cinthya,

Well, that'll all depend on what kind of challenge you want and on what you already enjoy. We all know the Adventures of Don Quixote. And then of course Isabel Allende is an international favourite. So, I suppose the author/book doesn't have to be a part of English literature. I guess the essay just needs to be written in English, (or translated into English if you want a Spanish original.) And we should have a good chance of recognising the name of the author or the title of the book. (I suppose it could be anything.)

Now, if you want my English suggestions you'd need to give me some idea about what kind of books you like to read. I suppose this could also be an opportunity for me to impress you with some of our great literature! Maybe I'll even inspire within you a love of Geoffrey Chaucer! But I doubt it. (I don't even love him all that much myself! But that's another story.)

I'm happy to go with either method, or to make more suggestions. Please let me know what kind of books you enjoy reading.

Pat

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Does anybody enjoy writing about literature?

Hello!
    Well, thanks for answering... According to the books I like reading, I like reading books about history, adventure, fiction as well as love stories. However, I'm willing to write about anything. I do want to learn about your culture and maybe I can share some of my culture, too.
    Maybe I could start writing something about history and you'll tell me if that's correct or I should change it for another one.
    When should I hand in my first draft?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cinthya,

Well, OK. If you really would like a British historical, fictional challenge, I'll set you one. Here's a novel called Beric the Briton, by GA Henty. It's an old book. It's a very old book, and it's about the Roman invasion of Britain in the first century AD.

Download a free copy of Beric the Briton here:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/bbrit10.txt

Please let me know if you accept the challenge! If you can write a first draft in six weeks that'll be excellent.

Pat

PS
    This has nothing to do with your challenge. It's just a fact about our British history. GA Henty, in his book, talks about the old Briton tribes like the Iceni. One of our ancient Briton heroines, Boadicea, was the leader of the ancient tribe the Iceni.
    Boudica (Boadicea) Warrior Queen of the Iceni

PPS. I hope you're well down there in Mexico and keeping safe and well.
    Last edited by patmac; 02-May-2009 at 18:06.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Does anybody enjoy writing about literature?

Hi Patrick!!
    Well, thanks for your patience. Just to let you know that I take the challenge. I like all about history but I'm the kind of people that needs somebody behind her to be the guide. I really appreciate your interest. I let you now how is everything going. Thanks..

And thanks for your advice about keeping me safe. I hope everything is fine over there. Anyway take care of your family and you, too!See you!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, what an amazing result! I must say you've put an incredible amount of work into this.

Litarena; [View Topic] - Beric the Briton, by G A Henty. An Essay

And it has been noticed already! Well done. Ancient Briton and the Britons, in general, isn't an easy topic. So you've got to get credited for writing about them in the first place. But for writing so well, and with such relevance to modern writers who are shaping their work as we speak. Now, that's truly excellent and useful. Great! Well done.