• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default medical condition/ his mood was really negative/no point in/dwelling

Dear teachers,

Here are three brief excerpts from an English lesson I have found recently in the Internet. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the expressions in bold are interpreted properly?

“Some people are depressed all the time. They have a medical condition and need to see a doctor.”

a medical condition is a general term used to describe an observation made that can have an impact on the health of an individual.

Less commonly, the term “medical condition” is used to describe the general medical state though this usage can create unnecessary ambiguity.

“He was really depressed because he’d just found out that he failed his Math class. Because of that, he wouldn’t be able to graduate until the following year. His mood was really negative and he saw it as a wasted year.“

his mood was really negative = he was really under the weather, he was really down in the mouth

“I told him that although it’s annoying, there’s no point in dwelling on it. The past is the past.”

there’s no point in = there’s no sense of

dwell = to fasten one's attention, as in: kept dwelling on what went wrong; thinking about a situation over and over again.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: medical condition/ his mood was really negative/no point in/dwelling

Dear vil:

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Here are three brief excerpts from an English lesson I have found recently in the Internet. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the expressions in bold are interpreted properly?

“Some people are depressed all the time. They have a medical condition and need to see a doctor.”

a medical condition is a general term used to describe an observation made that can have an impact on the health of an individual.

A 'medical condition' is a medical disorder. Sometimes the phrase is used euphemistically, sometimes it is used to indicate a collection of symptoms that have no specific name, and sometimes it is used like this: She has a medical condition known as XXXXX.'

Less commonly, the term “medical condition” is used to describe the general medical state though this usage can create unnecessary ambiguity. Yes.

“He was really depressed because he’d just found out that he failed his Math class. Because of that, he wouldn’t be able to graduate until the following year. His mood was really negative and he saw it as a wasted year.“

his mood was really negative = he was really under the weather, (under the weather usually means 'not well' in the sense of physical illness) he was really down in the mouth Yes.

Everything looked bleak and hopeless to him. He had lost his perspective because of his great feellngs of failure and disappointment.

“I told him that although it’s annoying, there’s no point in dwelling on it. The past is the past.”

there’s no point in = there’s no sense of yes, and/or:

There will be no useful outcome from

dwell = to fasten one's attention, as in: kept dwelling on what went wrong; thinking about a situation over and over again. Yes.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    I hope this is helpful,

Petra