• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default put on/ tackle/ detainee

Dear teachers,

Here are a few sentences from different English texts. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold?

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? . . . Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or, "What shall we wear?"

put on = clothe oneself with

“World leaders pledge $1,1 Trillion to tackle crisis.”

tackle = cope, overcome, to engage or deal with

“The hand-scrawled letter from a New Jersey jail was urgent. An immigration detainee had died that day, Sept. 9, 2005, a fellow inmate wrote in broken English, describing chest pains and pleas for medical attention that went unheeded until too late.

detainee = prisoner, jailbird

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: put on/ tackle/ detainee

'tackle' is a little stronger than that. It means making determined efforts to deal with a problem or difficult task. There's a sense of really getting to grips on the problem to solve it, from the 'cope' with it.

a 'detainee' is not necessarily a criminal, and would not be regarded as a 'jailbird'. An immigrant who has just arrived may be detained in quarantine if it is suspected he has a contagious/infectious disease; or it is suspected he is an anarchist and a threat to national security. If he has fled his home country because he is a wanted criminal, then he would be detained, pending extradition.
    Last edited by David L.; 28-Apr-2009 at 14:40.