Unregistered Guest

is my sentence gramatically correct?

I was wondering if this sentence is correct my concern is "there are" because there indicates location and their inducates possesive over they, and if you could find anything else wrong with the sentence let me know please

There are multiple reasons why those individuals and their families decided to be a part of the Boy Scouts of America.

Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: is my sentence gramatically correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was wondering if this sentence is correct my concern is "there are" because there indicates location and their inducates possesive over they, and if you could find anything else wrong with the sentence let me know please

There are multiple reasons why those individuals and their families decided to be a part of the Boy Scouts of America.
    Your use of there/their is correct. However, the use of "reasons why" is something that is debated many times. Reason means why.

The sentence would be better something like this:

There are many reasons for those individuals and their families' decisions to be part of the Boy Scouts of America.

There are many reasons for those individuals and their families having made the decision to become part of the Boy Scouts of America.

There are many explanations why those individuals and their families made the decision to become part of the Boy Scouts of America.

There is already a rather long discussion of reasons/why somewhere on this site. Maybe someone can find it for you.

I am not a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is my sentence gramatically correct?

The construction the 'reason why' raises objections on the grounds that the subordinate clause should express a statement, using a 'that'-clause, not imply a question with a 'why'-clause.

It is not surprising, though, that this construction has a firm hold colloquially at least, since without it, we are forced into some intricate and 'stilted' constructions - witness one of Search for Language's sentences in its effort to circumvent:
    There are many reasons for those individuals and their families having made the decision to become part of the Boy Scouts of America.

I wouldn't use the construction in a scientific report; but I think not to use the construction at all is being too pendantic and being a stickler for a rule that does not really aid clarity of meaning, but sure makes it hard to formulate one's idea succinctly!

It's simply a case of choosing which construction is appropriate:
    "The reason for the disaster was engine failure, not human error."
    "The real reason why he wanted me to stay..." — Graham Greene
    "The reason (that) I'm ringing is to ask a favour."
    Last edited by David L.; 29-Apr-2009 at 00:27.