Wandering is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Edit my small opinion piece, please.

Feel free to annihilate it. Thank you.

Don’t Put on Your Thinking Cap
    With only one class left, my degree from the prestigious philosophy department of the University of Pittsburgh is not far away. Since my first class, I have muscled my way through philosophy’s greats- Plato’s Republic? Piece of cake. Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason? Easy as pie (but forever scarred). Even phrases like panta rei and cogito ergo sum are pushovers to me.
    Yet, despite all of this heavenly knowledge that has been bestowed upon me, I am left unsatisfied. My professors amaze me with their ability to clearly elaborate on any subject, but they never apply their timeless wisdom to reality. Instead of rigorously debating the problems of today, my professors lull us to sleep with lackluster lectures on trivial topics. Our grades are determined by how well we can regurgitate uninspiring thoughts. This mediocrity has driven me to come to one simple conclusion- philosophy is extinct.
    If we are to believe that philosophy is some guy’s opinion, then we have forgotten the essence of philosophy. Philosophy is the touchstone of all progress. We must remember that philosophy is the purest form of dissent. Furthermore, dissent is the highest form of ascent. If we do not ask questions, if we do not question authority, if we do not pressure ourselves, then society will never advance. This “magnificent” philosophy program I have experienced is a glorified book report program. Philosophy has been badgered to death by dogmatic opinions and shallow thoughts. What happened to just thinking? What happened?

Monticello is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Edit my small opinion piece, please.

Hi Wandering,

You write well. The only suggestion that I would make here is to italicize the titles, Plato’s Republic and Critique of Pure Reason, as well as the phrases, panta rei and cogito ergo sum.

You might also wish to expand your piece by providing examples that buttress your statements. For example, when you write --
    My professors amaze me with their ability to clearly elaborate on any subject, but they never apply their timeless wisdom to reality. Instead of rigorously debating the problems of today, my professors lull us to sleep with lackluster lectures on trivial topics. Our grades are determined by how well we can regurgitate uninspiring thoughts.
    -- some real-life classroom examples that illustrate the "lackluster lectures," "trivial topics," and "regurgitating uninspiring thoughts" would help to support your argument here.

Finally, what about offering some real-life examples of how you might see philosophy as "the purest form of dissent" and dissent as "the highest form of ascent?" Expanding on your thoughts in this way will bring greater weight to your piece.

Congratulations on your approaching graduation. - Best of luck