Thread: head fake

1. odejana@gmail.com

head fake

What does it mean "head fake" ???
    Thank you
    Jana

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: head fake

A head fake means that someone thought something was true and then found out it wasn't. It may have been a trick.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello. I'm new here and I am not a teacher, but I am writing my biography so I might need to ask some questions.

I was searching in Google for 'head fake' after watching Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams on YouTube, and I found this posting.

Randy was dying of cancer, and it was an inspirational lecture.
    Here are some excerpts from the transcript, where he describes what he calls the 'head fake':

"And the other thing about football is we send our kids out to play football or soccer or swimming or whatever it is, and it’s the first example of what I’m going to call a head fake, or indirect learning. We actually don’t want our kids to learn football. I mean, yeah, it’s really nice that I have a wonderful three-point stance and that I know how to do a chop block and all this kind of stuff. But we send our kids out to learn much more important things. Teamwork, sportsmanship, perseverance, etcetera, etcetera. And these kinds of head fake learning are absolutely important. And you should keep your eye out for them because they’re everywhere."

Then later on:

"The head fake – again, we’re back to the head fakes. The best way to teach somebody something is to have them think they’re learning something else. I’ve done it my whole career. And the head fake here is that they’re learning to program but they just think they’re making movies and video games." This is temporary; we will be doing a creative commons license or some such; for now, please consider this footnote your permission to use this transcript for any personal or non-commercial purposes. -- Randy © Copyright Randy Pausch, 2007

The transcript can be found here; Randy Pausch?s Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

If you do a search for 'fake', you'll find several other examples of where he describes his interpretation of it, and a good one at the end, but I won't spoil it for you.

It's highly recommended viewing/reading, in my opinion.

Cheers
    John

• Post Thanks / Like

I am not a teacher, but I am a native speaker.

Because there is no context given in the original question, I will mention another, older use of the term "head fake". In sports, when you have an opposing player defending you, sometimes you will make a quick motion in one direction to trick your defending player into moving in the wrong direction. Many years ago, this was called a "head fake", because you would quickly move your head in one direction to confuse your defender. Today, that term is typically called a "juke" in sports, but it may still be used occasionally today.