Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Please help with this adj

    Hi everybody,
    What adjective would you use to describe such a personality?...You can’t praise such a person of what they’ve done, or of the positive trait they have,...etc. because you know they’ll get arrogant, or throw that quality back at you...Some people are quite modest and any praise of them doesn’t change their behaviour, but the people I mentioned above lack ......(?), and can’t control themselves in case of being admired...(sorry for bad explanation!)

  2. #2
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,808
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help with this adj

    They lack humility, and have a big ego. They are conceited.

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help with this adj

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi everybody,
    What adjective would you use to describe such a personality?...You can’t praise such a person of what they’ve done, or of the positive trait they have,...etc. because you know they’ll get arrogant, or throw that quality back at you...Some people are quite modest and any praise of them doesn’t change their behaviour, but the people I mentioned above lack ......(?), and can’t control themselves in case of being admired...(sorry for bad explanation!)
    Grace; but that doesn't really explain it.
    This is somebody who "can't accept a compliment (graciously)".
    I don't think it's always a matter of conceit or arrogance. Some people are embarrassed by being praised; they become uncomfortable and literally don't how to react.

  4. #4
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help with this adj+

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Grace; but that doesn't really explain it.
    This is somebody who "can't accept a compliment (graciously)".
    I don't think it's always a matter of conceit or arrogance. Some people are embarrassed by being praised; they become uncomfortable and literally don't how to react.
    Thanks,
    You see, this adj may also refer to some others as well, for example, you want to keep your formal relationship with the people you've just met, but immediately you smile at these people they feel intimate and even may ask you for Sth,...(Unfortunately I'm considering the adj in my Lg, Pesrsian, and here we've got one single adj to refer to both of these personalities,...we also say, 'they lack the capacity' to be praised, to be friendly to,...etc. Sorry again for confusing you!

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help with this adj+

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Thanks,
    You see, this adj may also refer to some others as well, for example, you want to keep your formal relationship with the people you've just met, but immediately you smile at these people they feel intimate and even may ask you for Sth,...(Unfortunately I'm considering the adj in my Lg, Pesrsian, and here we've got one single adj to refer to both of these personalities,...we also say, 'they lack the capacity' to be praised, to be friendly to,...etc. Sorry again for confusing you!
    It must be a cultural thing. We don't have a word specifically for that.
    Someone who lacks that capacity for social interactions is autistic or asocial or socially awkward - but I think none of those are what you want.

    PS. Or try "fawning, obsequious"
    Last edited by Raymott; 03-May-2009 at 03:02.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help with this adj

    Your language packs a lot into one word!

    In terms of the compliment, we would say that giving such a person a compliment just "feeds their vanity" or "just adds to their conceit".

    If the person then regards your compliment as a willingness to give further of yourself, your time, or your social connections, they are being "presumptuous".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •