• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

leave it to God

A column translated from an Egyptian newspaper, the column entitled.

---I want to know whether it is written in good English or not ? Is it a literal translation, I mean, does it seem as translated?
    ----How about the style?!!!

Leave it God!

All the mistakes of the ordinary people are forgiven by society except for those of the religious men. Since their mistakes are considered much graver in the eyes of the ordinary people, to the extent that they sometimes cannot believe that the religious people do make mistakes. The big proplem is that some use the mistakes of the religious men as an excuse to justify their own mistakes. For example, when you advise someone to stop smoking , he replies: " how come you do not want me to smoke when Sheik so-and-so himself smokes?! " Maybe they are right in some respects; as a man of God must be a model in his appearance and behavior. Moreover, he should remind people of Halal ( what is permitted ), and Haram ( what is forbidden ), and be a perfect example of easygoing, well-mannered, and honest person. But what is wrong is to believe that this person is infallible or has no mistakes at all! Therefore, they never expect him to get angry when someone teases him, or commit a sin when lured by life luxuries (temptations), or feel pain when afflicted by a disease. Furthermore, the way people look at him restricts him to certain kinds of conduct; for example, he should not be shown in particular places: It is totally forbidden if they catch him sitting in the café, and it is absolutely a major crime if he goes to the beach and enjoys the sight of the waves. That is regarding him, so, how would it be if they are talking about his wife, daughter and so on?!

But why am I saying that?! It is because I have called one of my friends to pray " Al-Eshah" prayer in Masjid ( the mosque ), however, he told me that he does not pray in Masjids at all! I was stunned and asked him: " why?!" He answered as if recalling some old memory: " it is a long story! "

For the sentence written in bold, it means that a religious man has to be some kind of an adviser to people: to tell them to do good things and avoid doing bad things.

For the last paragraph, there is another way of saying this:

It is becauseI invited a friend of mine to join me in "Isha'a" prayer in the mosque, but he turned down my invitation, saying that he does not offer prayers in mosqes!

Thanks in Advance,

Tasneemspring

Monticello is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: leave it to God

Hi tasneemspring,

Your translation reads well. For a literal translation, the style seems OK. As to whether the translation "seems as translated," only someone fluent in both Arabic and English can answer this.

Thanks for the explanation of the bolded text, and the insight it brings for those of us who are not familiar with Arabic and Islamic culture.

I've provided a few small suggestions for changes below:

Leave it God!

All the mistakes of the ordinary people are forgiven by society, except for but not those of the religious men. Since Perhaps this is because their mistakes are considered much graver in the eyes of the ordinary people -- to the extent that they ordinary people sometimes cannot believe that the religious people do make mistakes. The big proplem is that some use the mistakes of the religious men as an excuse to justify their own. mistakes. For example, when you advise someone to stop smoking, he replies: "How come you do not want me to smoke when Sheik so-and-so himself smokes?!" Maybe they are right in some respects, as a man of God must be a model in his appearance and behavior. Moreover, he should remind people of Halal ( what is permitted ), and Haram ( what is forbidden ), and be a perfect example of the easygoing, well-mannered, and honest person.

But what is wrong is to believe that this person is infallible or has no mistakes at all -- the epitome of perfection! Therefore, they never expect him to get angry when someone teases him, or commit a sin when lured by life's luxuries (temptations), or feel pain when afflicted by a disease. Furthermore, the way people look at him restricts him to certain kinds of conduct. For example, he should not be shown seen in particular places: It is totally forbidden if they catch him sitting in the café, and it is absolutely a major crime if he goes to the beach and enjoys the sight of the waves. That is regarding him, so, And if this is how people regard the religious man, then how would it be if they are talking were to talk about his wife, daughter and so on?!

But why am I saying that?! It is because I have called one of my friends to pray " Al-Eshah" prayer in Masjid ( the mosque ), however, he told me that he does not pray in Masjids at all! I was stunned and asked him: " why?!" He answered as if recalling some old memory: " it is a long story! "
    Last edited by Monticello; 02-May-2009 at 17:35.

RoseSpring is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks indeed for help sir Montecillo.

Monticello is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure, tasneemspring.

Also, please note the addition of the comma in the first sentence (after the word "society"), which I had neglected to include.