Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ramid Guest

Default How do you think about your accents?

Since Chinese is my native language, so everytime I speak English, I have some kind of Chinese accents in it? In another word, my Chinese accents make the other people hard to understand my English!

So, how do you think of your own accents? Did you ever hated it? Or do you feel embarrass when someone make fun of your accents?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you think about your accents?

Being British, I don't get it when I speak English, but I am struggling with some of the sounds in Khmer, which can be difficult as I am living in Cambodia.

Ramid Guest

Wow, I just saw that Phoenixtree already posted a similar thread. Anyway, does anyone still wanna share their accents experience?

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to pick up local color quickly. It really started when I quit counting native.

dodgerfan2002 Guest

My american accent is not that perfect yet since i've only been in the US for 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me - there is no such thing as an American accent. Every region has its own peculiar quirks. It would be rather boring otherwise.

Ramid Guest

Well, I don't expect myself to speak like a native. I just wanna take my accent out of my English...Seens like really hard to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramid
    Well, I don't expect myself to speak like a native. I just wanna take my accent out of my English...Seens like really hard to me.
    Please - no "wanna". Keep your vocabulary clean, use only words you are comfortable with, ignore the "US movie language". Your accent may dimish over time but it is part of you and your origin. I feel almost insultet when people think I am Australian. I am not!

Ramid Guest

"wanna" is the one that I most comfortable with, and I dont think it's only use in the American movies.
    Anyway, I only wanna separate my Chinese accent from English, because it's two different different languages, and I wanna be perfect on both...
    Um~~you made me feel like I dont appreciate my own heritage, indeed I do, I really do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramid
    "wanna" is the one that I most comfortable with, and I dont think it's only use in the American movies.
    Anyway, I only wanna separate my Chinese accent from English, because it's two different different languages, and I wanna be perfect on both...
    Um~~you made me feel like I dont appreciate my own heritage, indeed I do, I really do.
    It sounds like a contradiction to me - you want to loose your acent but you insist on using basic words incorrectly. yoyo - you are on your own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast